Author Topic: Baptism by fire, the EX 30 story  (Read 2471 times)

Bill P

Baptism by fire, the EX 30 story
« on: November 06, 2010, 08:57:54 pm »
I finally got my Excalibur delivered and set up. For the most part, I'm pleased, but I do know there's going to be a learning curve, and right now some of the features are more like a pain.

First of all, the amount of effort to lift the arm is more than I was expecting.  Once up, however, I like the fact that it stays there.

I like the tensioner (is that a word?)  The tension handle?  Lever?  You get what I mean.  The only down side is there is now a raw spot on my left thumb because (and now you'll know why I said baptism by fire) my first project is the Angel Door Topper by L.S. Irish.  There are 204 internal cuts on this project.  I know because I counted them, told Lisa, and she thought I was exaggerating so she counted them again.  204.  BTW, if you ever cut this, gray it down rather than leave the areas to cut out black.

There appears to be more forward/backward movement on the blade than I had with the Dewalt, but that might be my imagination.

All-in-all, I'm happy...just not good with change...but that's me, not the saw.

Bill

Offline dgman

• View Profile
Re: Baptism by fire, the EX 30 story
« Reply #1 on: November 06, 2010, 10:00:59 pm »
Congratulations Bill! Just like any new tool, it will take getting used to.
Give it a good workout and report back in a week or so.
Dan In Southern California

Offline dunk

• Staying positive.
    • View Profile
    • Mike's Wood-n-Things
« Reply #2 on: November 07, 2010, 12:55:11 am »
I understand that you can lessen the back and forth movement on the blade by adjusting the 3 screws that hold the motor.  loosen those and twist the motor.
Mike

Junk is something you've kept for years and throw away three weeks before you need it.

Bill P

« Reply #3 on: November 07, 2010, 01:14:05 am »
Do I do it while it's running?

Bill

Offline Russ C

• Global Moderator
  • Central Florida - USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 07, 2010, 06:40:17 am »
No. Do Not Adjust while it is running.

One of the other members (bushy) posted,

"I found with my Excalibur 21 inch. There is three  bolts. on the motor   loosen the three bolts just enough so you can turn the motor back and forward  . Hold  a small piece of wood against the back of the blade and turn the motor slowly back and forwards until there is no wobble back and forwards . Then tighten your bolts up again."

Thought this might help. 8)
russ@simplywoodencreations.com

Keep The Blade On The Line.

Offline julief

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 07, 2010, 06:57:28 am »
Russ is right.  That is exactly how to adjust it.  You should not have noticable back and forth movement.  If you are leary about doing it - call Ray at Seyco and he will talk you through it over the phone.  (There may be a mark on the edge of the motor, just a little pencil line, that is set at true 12 o'clock.  See if there is one on your saw).

Bill P

« Reply #6 on: November 07, 2010, 01:01:41 pm »
Thank you Dunk, Russ, and Julie.  The blade is spot on.  Turns out the vibration I'm feeling, and mistaking for front/back movement, is from the extremely slight warping of the wood I'm cutting.  I believe it was the way I attached the two pieces together to stack cut them.  I can't correct it now because it would mess up the alignment of the holes, but I can live with it for just this one project.

I always get post-buyers remorse whenever I spend money on something big, which translates itself into looking for problems when there aren't any there.

I'm a very weird man, I guess.

Bill

Offline julief

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 07, 2010, 06:57:30 pm »
Once you get used to that saw - you will wonder how you ever did without it. ;D

Offline bhenr99

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 07, 2010, 07:46:32 pm »
You can adjust the lift arm tension by the screw on the left back side that has a nut on it. Loose nut and turn screw out to you have the arm tension you want and then tighten nut back up.

Bob

Bill P

« Reply #9 on: November 08, 2010, 10:16:40 am »
Thanks, Bob.

I didn't get any of the info with the saw.  Is that common?

Bill

Offline GrayBeard

• My DW 788 sends you HUGZZZZ from Missouri, USA!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 08, 2010, 10:38:40 am »
You mean you didn't get a booklet with 13 pages of WARNINGS about how dangerous it is?

I love all those manuals that start the Important stuff after they tell you 413 times to be careful!

~~~GB~~~
I never really wanted to grow up....All I wanted was to be able to reach the cookie jar...and play with my DW 788

Offline julief

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 08, 2010, 01:24:56 pm »
The instruction manual is sadly lacking in those details about "tweaking" your saw.  I guess they set it at the factory and that is the way it should be.  Ray at Seyco will tell you anything you want to know.  Don't be afraid to call him about stuff like that.

Bill P

« Reply #12 on: November 08, 2010, 03:06:30 pm »
I'd feel kinda funny doing that, I didn't buy it from him.

Bill

Offline bhenr99

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 08, 2010, 10:32:24 pm »
You can call Seyco if even you didn't buy the saw from him. He is the US rep for Excalibur and the factory will refer you to him.

Bob

Offline jimbo

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 09, 2010, 12:56:48 am »
Hi Bill there is a lot lacking in the hand book but it does tell you how to tension the arm lift, mine got very sloppy after a week or two but with adjustments it has been OK since
Hope you enjoy your journey with the EX as much as I have
Jimbo

SMF

Teknoromi