Author Topic: A Message for "Newbies"!  (Read 2550 times)

Offline GrayBeard

• My DW 788 sends you HUGZZZZ from Missouri, USA!
    • View Profile
A Message for "Newbies"!
« on: September 30, 2010, 11:15:10 am »

I would like to say this to any 'newbie' who happens to read this thread....

IF Steve had started this forum two years ago I personally would be much further along in my pursuit of this hobby.

When first starting out a beginner has only his or her own perception of what success they are achieving. With the introduction of this Forum and the wealth of information it presents you will certainly become more familiar with your saw and especially your 'capabilities' much more quickly.

BUT, more importantly, being able to show your work and receive the encouragement of some of the 'best in the business' is invaluable! Sure it is nice to show your creations to your family and friends and receive their compliments. What else would they say?

It is so much more a boost to your confidence to have so many others who have been at it for years and are considered 'experts' to say nice things about your projects.

So 'newbie' get active, read the tips, tricks, discussions and advice. SHOW your projects and ask for help when you feel the need.

We all say it, and we all MEAN it ... this is your Scroll Family and and we are here for each other!

~~~GrayBeard~~~
I never really wanted to grow up....All I wanted was to be able to reach the cookie jar...and play with my DW 788

Offline dunk

• Staying positive.
    • View Profile
    • Mike's Wood-n-Things
Re: A Message for "Newbies"!
« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2010, 11:31:36 am »
Well said! :D
Mike

Junk is something you've kept for years and throw away three weeks before you need it.

Offline scrollgirl

• View Profile
    • Sheila Landry Designs
« Reply #2 on: September 30, 2010, 11:39:29 am »
Hear! Hear!

Sheila :D
Sheila A. Bergner-Landry
Designer, Artist, Teacher
Owner, Sheila Landry Designs
www.sheilalandrydesigns.com
Knowledge Is Power

boxmaker

« Reply #3 on: September 30, 2010, 12:01:41 pm »
Well said Greybeard, I think a lot of people, including myself are just to afraid to ask questions. I know for myself after the Christmas ornament exchange idea, I had only made boxes, now I have started cutting some Ornaments and other projects that were not boxes and It has opened up a whole different passion for the scroll saw. I would like to thank everyone on this Forum and Steve for allowing all of us this opportunity.

Mark 

Rightarm

« Reply #4 on: September 30, 2010, 12:02:35 pm »
    GB. Sense were all family, can you float us a loan? Dave 8)

Offline GrayBeard

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 30, 2010, 12:13:40 pm »
Dave...as one of the "Sages" on this Forum I feel the need to refer you to the old proverb...

"Neither a borrower or lender be!" <VBG>

~~~GB~~~
I never really wanted to grow up....All I wanted was to be able to reach the cookie jar...and play with my DW 788

Offline GrayBeard

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 30, 2010, 12:22:37 pm »
Boxmaker you hit a very good point right on the button!

I teach computer classes for seniors at our senior center and the VERY First thing I try to get through to them is ...

There is no such thing as a 'dumb' question!

What is 'dumb' is not asking the question and remaining 'dumb' yourself.
When you NEED information there are only two ways to get it, research it yourself or take advantage of the wisdom of those you feel might know the answer.
If the 'instructor' or knowledgeable person makes you feel it is a 'dumb question' they are definitely NOT a 'teacher' in the true sense of the term.

~~~GB~~~

Offline julief

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 30, 2010, 01:00:03 pm »
GB is absolutely right.  I learn something new here everyday.  I am in awe of some of the work that has been displayed here and eager to learn more.  It is the first place I go every morning - gotta see what everybody is doing.

chips

« Reply #8 on: September 30, 2010, 05:58:35 pm »
 Amen GB! It's been many years since I started scrolling and I'd be a lot further along if Steve would have had this Forum up then. I stand in awe of the many projects displayed on here every day.

Pete

northie66

« Reply #9 on: September 30, 2010, 06:20:35 pm »
You are all my scroll saw peeps!   ;D

Offline Kepy

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 01, 2010, 10:30:32 am »
Well said GB.  If only some of this info had been available when I started back in the 70's, it would have surely been much easier.

chips

« Reply #11 on: October 01, 2010, 12:51:34 pm »
 Kepy..... The only trouble with starting scrolling back in the 70's or earlier is there was no internet. Gee I'm feeling old! :) :)

Pete

HWPlmbr1

« Reply #12 on: October 01, 2010, 02:41:58 pm »
Being a scroll saw newbie to the site and especially the blog I appreciate all the info I am finding. I find I have some talent in this area and am enjoying making saw dust. I will surely have questions maybe some already asked but I haven't found them yet so I will be asking. Meanwhile, thanks! :)

Janet I will love being one of your scroll saw "peeps" ;D

Offline GrayBeard

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 01, 2010, 04:05:00 pm »
Hey there 'HW...'  Welcome aboard!
Ask away...even if answered before we are always happy to help out!

I have relatives in Geneva!

~~~GrayBeard~~~

jon

« Reply #14 on: October 01, 2010, 09:22:59 pm »
the way i see it  it is better to ask a question and feel stupid for 5 min than to not ask the question and be stupid for life. how are you supposed to learn if you dont ask questions? with everyone on this site there is never a question un answerd. lol think of this site as one gient brain that knows everything 

SMF

Teknoromi