Author Topic: Cutting a large pattern  (Read 2584 times)

malc

Cutting a large pattern
« on: July 28, 2010, 07:02:31 am »
I am Cutting a large pattern which is too large to turn all the way round to be able to make the internal cuts. Has anyone tried reversing the blade to cut away from yourself? If so how easy was it.
Malc

Offline scrollgirl

• View Profile
    • Sheila Landry Designs
Re: Cutting a large pattern
« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2010, 07:19:20 am »
I have never tried reversing the blade, but I would love to know how you do if you do try.  I know people are going to say 'spiral blades'.  I have only worked with them on a very limited basis (about five minutes) and they are definitely a different animal altogether (for me, anyway).  I just can't imagine how much switching of the blade you would need to do to turn it when doing your design if you decide to use a regular blade backwards.  I am interested to hear what everyone's opinion on this is.

:) Sheila
Sheila A. Bergner-Landry
Designer, Artist, Teacher
Owner, Sheila Landry Designs
www.sheilalandrydesigns.com
Knowledge Is Power

Offline julief

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2010, 07:28:16 am »
I tried it once without much success - kept pushing my blade out of the holders.  Now I use a spiral when my project is just too large to turn - but only on the cuts I have to - the sprial requires a lot of sanding and I much prefer the smoother cut of a regular flat blade.

Dawie

« Reply #3 on: July 28, 2010, 08:14:20 am »
Never was one for spiral baldes but been using them for about 2 weeks now and wonder why I did not start earlier. I have no problem regarding the sanding, all cuts are smooth. But I agree with Sheila it's a whole different way of cutting and you have to really practice it. I still tend to forget that I don't need to turn the wood and that I can cut in all directions. Trying to turn the wood while using them gives me the most problems, but getting there and love them. Think you may call me a spiral convert :P.
David

Offline GrayBeard

• My DW 788 sends you HUGZZZZ from Missouri, USA!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 28, 2010, 08:57:42 am »
I tried reversing the blade once!
Total disaster. Kept forgetting which way I was going and got frustrated.

Spirals...I am trying them also.
First project was kind of ragged and required too much time with the 'mini-files' and sanding.
I persevered and the second one came out quite a bit better.
I know I will never attempt to use a spiral on anything less than 1/4" thick!
Next project will be 1/2" maple.
One thing is to make sure your 'table' is nice and SLICK so the workpiece moves freely in ALL directions!

~~~GB~~~
I never really wanted to grow up....All I wanted was to be able to reach the cookie jar...and play with my DW 788

Offline Judy Hunter

• The world moves on.
    • View Profile
    • Artistic Sawdust and Other Fun Stuff
« Reply #5 on: July 28, 2010, 09:38:58 am »
I use nothing but spirals.  Practice is a good thing.  When doing a larger piece I use baby powder on my table.
I'm from North Dakota

Offline Russ C

• Global Moderator
  • Central Florida - USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 28, 2010, 09:41:43 am »
Reversing the blade will not work. Spiral blades are then only way I know to do those really large patterns you can't turn.  8)
russ@simplywoodencreations.com

Keep The Blade On The Line.

Offline dgman

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 28, 2010, 08:44:03 pm »
Well I have reversed the blade and it did work for me, But it was very difficult. My suggestion is to try it on a scrap piece of wood and also try the spiral blade to see which method will work for you. What saw are you using and what is the throat capacity?
Dan In Southern California

daneklund

« Reply #8 on: July 29, 2010, 02:28:19 am »
I have reversed the blade a couple times and it worked ok.  It is not my preference though.  I have tried the spiral blades a long time ago and they gave me fits.  Guess I need to give them a try again.

Offline jimbo

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 29, 2010, 03:12:59 am »
Havn't tried spirals yet but I am going to my good friend Judy sent me some , I have also tried cutting with the blade in reverse but that was a stupid mistake as it was not intended to be, I have had the blade upside down I think it was a double reverse and that cut sort of, thick eh
Jimbo

UHMNL

« Reply #10 on: July 29, 2010, 02:40:04 pm »
Jimbo,
Send me your address and I will send you a sample of the new spiral # 2/0.
That is now my biggest seller.
FD Mike

BULL65

« Reply #11 on: August 01, 2010, 02:20:52 am »
I use spirals for the majority, but for outlines, etc., I'll use skip-toothed blades. Yes, spiral blades (or reversable blades) require a bit of sanding (they tend to leave a bit of a "burr", but I really don't mind that. All part of the work required, to me.

malc

« Reply #12 on: August 01, 2010, 09:14:23 am »
Got some spiral blades, wish I had done it long ago! Has solved all my problems.
Malc :)

drigolin

« Reply #13 on: August 02, 2010, 05:25:48 am »
Niqua Penguin spiral blades 2/0 are the ideal for large fretwork. I handled a large piece of wood 100cm X 60 cm and do fretwork on that. My scroll saw depth is only 40cm. I added side support (shoos boxes) to avoid wood to drops when working close to sides.
Using a Spiral blades you need to act ad a "human plotter" and move in 2D the piece to cut, it's funny that after a long time cutting with spiral and coming back to normal blade I need to do "decompression" on spare wood before start cutting without errors...
Cutting with Spiral blades needs more concentration because you cannot trust the blade direction: only you make the direction of cutting. Anyway with spiral blade is also easy to do a fine correction using them like sanders.

Niqua blades at maximum rpm  makes the cut very clean and no sand is needed. I use to cut soft woods and poplar.

Ciao

UHMNL

« Reply #14 on: August 02, 2010, 10:16:47 am »
Ciao,
 As I understand the Penguin blade is a straight blade. It is a double tooth blade with no reverse teeth. The company came out with a new spiral blade, what cuts a lot easier.
You are in control not the blade.  I have customers who use nothing but regular spirals but they have cut with them for many years and know how to control them.
FD Mike

SMF

Teknoromi