Author Topic: Pattern Instructions  (Read 1598 times)

Offline julief

• View Profile
Pattern Instructions
« on: July 21, 2010, 07:45:06 am »
Sheila replied to Becky on welcome to the nut house post about her instructions.  Personally, I find the instructions to Sheila's patterns a welcome addition.  Whether you are a beginner or advanced scroller, knowing what the artist had in mind or the methodology used in creating a piece is invaluable.  I often use these instructions on a step by step basis the first time I cut a pattern to insure the proper results.  Then modify my method accordingly.

Sheila's instruction are, in fact, step-by-step.  From the basics of sanding both sides of the board to the method of assembly and finishing.  She also provides her phone # and web address on her patterns if you have any questions.  I have cut many of  her patterns and highly recommend her work.

Thanks for the projects Sheila - keep 'em coming.

Offline BilltheDiver

• View Profile
Re: Pattern Instructions
« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2010, 09:48:23 am »
Add me to the list of admirers of Sheila and her work.  She also maintains a very interesting blog on lumberjocks.com.

Thanks Sheila!
"Measure twice, cut once, count fingers"

cherie

« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2010, 11:34:55 am »
 ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;DI have always been a fan of Shelia's.  Jaun is always telling me that there are others that do ornaments.  I say yeah I know, but I can understand her instructions the best.  If I have a problem, she usually gets back to me asap.  Thanks again Shelia!!

Offline jimbo

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 21, 2010, 10:49:40 pm »
I bought several pattern books as well as 2 how to scroll saw and they are all vague on there instructions, in fact the last pattern book said don't buy a good saw as the cheap ones do just as good a job, well I can say that is not a fact from experience, the writer of that book had obviously not tried a ryobi
Jimbo

boxmaker

« Reply #4 on: July 21, 2010, 11:10:03 pm »
I have bought several of Sheilas patterns, they are great, and so is Sheila. I had a question and called her and she answered all my questions right on the phone. Thank You Sheila. 

Mark

Becky

« Reply #5 on: July 22, 2010, 12:56:45 am »
When I saw this thread I hastened to clarify on the other thread that I too think her instructions were very helpful. 

But I had called the project a challenge and she specifically asked where I had troubles.  So I mentioned the specific things that had me scratching my head.  It's what she specifically asked for and I believe she took it as feedback as I intended and not as a complaint.  I certainly hope so because I was definitely not complaining.

I never intended to suggest the instructions were lacking.  On the whole, I thought they were excellent - as good or better than some of the others I have seen though my experience is not very extensive.  I've never bought an individual pattern (yet).  Everything I have ever done was from Steve's catalog, a book or a magazine.  When I do get to buying individual patterns, Sheila's website will absolutely be high on my list of places to look.

Dawie

« Reply #6 on: July 22, 2010, 01:04:25 am »
Sheila's patterns are on my wishlist too. I have made a couple out of the magazine woodworks and crafts(think got the right name). They where super to make. Thanks Sheila for putting so much time and effort into making your patterns sothat we can enjoy making them.
David

Offline scrollgirl

• View Profile
    • Sheila Landry Designs
« Reply #7 on: July 22, 2010, 06:13:57 am »
Hey you guys!  I just saw this thread this morning.  First of all I want to let Becky know that I didn't at all thinking she was making a complaint and I was not offended in any way, shape or form!  As I said on the other thread, I really do want the feedback and it helps me to see others perspective of things.  Sometimes when we write here in the forums it is misunderstood  but I didn't feel that she was complaining at all.

The Nut House project is not what I would call a beginner project and I believe it does take some getting used to doing the segmentation/intarsia process.  When you look at it, it looks like cute and simple and I believe that sometimes with ANY intarsia or segmentation, people underestimate the time and are surprised how long it takes.  

With that type of project, so much is left to what I will call "artistic discretion" that it can easily be confusing.  It isn't like regular fretwork where you cut the hole and you are done. :)  That said, I think you did great Becky and I appreciate your hanging in there to finish it and I am happy you stretched your wings a bit.  They get easier with each one you do!

To everyone else - I want to say how much these kind words mean to me.  I really work hard to make these the best patterns I can give you. Scrollsawing is pretty much my life and it isn't only selling and making patterns, but it is the wonderful people that I know through working here that I love so much.  I love talking to others and if I can help them have some fun and feel creative then I have done a good job.  

I know I make mistakes in my patterns sometimes (yes, even with proofreading them over and over!) but if I do, I try to correct them and let people know as soon as possible.

Thank you all so much for making my day and showing your appreciation. It means more to me than any paycheck ever could.  I always said if I won the lottery I would be doing exactly the same thing, but giving them away!

Thanks for a great start to my day.  I hope you all know if you need anything at all I will be here!  You really made ma smile today!

Sheila
Sheila A. Bergner-Landry
Designer, Artist, Teacher
Owner, Sheila Landry Designs
www.sheilalandrydesigns.com
Knowledge Is Power

Offline julief

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 22, 2010, 07:44:03 am »
When I started this topic, I was not, in any way, taking Becky's comments as complaints.  I remember back when I started scrolling how confusing and frustrating it was to figure out how the pattern designer achieved what they were doing.  Instructions are often vague and more often non-existant.  I tend to go back to certain artist for their patterns, simply because of their attention to detail in their instructions.  I posted on the forum for those who have not had the pleasure of Sheila's patterns to let them know that this is a courtesy and service that comes with all she does.  I wish I had found this out years ago when I was trying to figure it all out.

SMF

Teknoromi