Author Topic: aquarium air pump  (Read 1859 times)

thumbs

aquarium air pump
« on: July 19, 2010, 12:06:01 pm »
does any one use a aquarium air pump as an air blower on their scroll saw --If so what kind or size is it? my Dewalt  blower just doesn't do the job the way I would like. any help or info would be great--thanks in advance  --Richard aka thumbs

Manuel

Re: aquarium air pump
« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2010, 01:07:47 pm »
I just bought one and after try 3 different one I got the one for 185 gallon capacity

Joesawdust

« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2010, 01:45:46 pm »
I use one for a 40-60 gal. tank from wallyworld which does fine. I actually took the plastic tubing out of the flexible nozzle on my saw and stuck the tubing from the pump in there and zip tied it out of the way, works great for me. Also I use a double plug in on my footswitch so it only comes on when the saw is running.

Greg

Dawie

« Reply #3 on: July 19, 2010, 03:21:38 pm »
Sounds like a great idea.
David

Offline dgman

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 19, 2010, 04:23:24 pm »
Hey Thumbs, Do you think something is wrong with your DeWalt blower, or it's just not good enough for you? The blower on my DeWalt and any other DeWalt I have tried does a good job. Tell us what is going on with it and maybe we can help.
Dan In Southern California

thumbs

« Reply #5 on: July 19, 2010, 06:57:41 pm »
thanks for the input everyone-- DGMAN the dewalt blower just doesn't seem to work the same and the tip of the flex tube just gets in the way when it can blow the dust. I guess I could check on a bellows replacement--that might be the problem I guess--Richard aka thumbs

Offline dgman

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 19, 2010, 07:17:35 pm »
Yeah.I think I would rather replace the bellows and get it working properly than having to strap a tube on the saw. On my saw I keep the blower tube far enough away from the blade clamp that it is not in the way of anything but still keeps the cutting line clear of dust.
Dan In Southern California

northie66

« Reply #7 on: July 19, 2010, 08:49:09 pm »
I would like to have something that sucks the dust up.

Offline Russ C

• Global Moderator
  • Central Florida - USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 19, 2010, 09:40:17 pm »
"something that sucks the dust up". They make those, it's called a shop vac.  ::)
LOL
russ@simplywoodencreations.com

Keep The Blade On The Line.

Offline GrayBeard

• My DW 788 sends you HUGZZZZ from Missouri, USA!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 20, 2010, 12:14:45 am »
Russ....Do you know they don't let donkeys go to college?

No one likes a "Smart A$$" <bg>

~~~GB~~~
I never really wanted to grow up....All I wanted was to be able to reach the cookie jar...and play with my DW 788

Becky

« Reply #10 on: July 20, 2010, 12:24:19 am »
I too would like something that sucks the dust up - before it hits the floor!  And, because we are talking perfect world here, I want it to do it silently.  Turning on the shop vac in my little enclosed space is about enough noise to wake the dead.

northie66

« Reply #11 on: July 20, 2010, 05:48:42 pm »
Speaking of perfect world, I'd like my "sucker" to blow it outside... so I don't have to empty it too.   ;)

Or better yet, it could compress the dust into a new slab of wood. :D

SMF

Teknoromi