Author Topic: Dust Problem  (Read 4698 times)

Offline jerry1939

• Iowa - 2 seasons. Winter & road construction.
    • View Profile
Re: Dust Problem
« Reply #15 on: October 26, 2014, 12:39:04 pm »
Two things.
1.   I do all my work with this saw.  Love it, except that it comes with a horrible attachment for the dust blower nozzle.  I threw the bracket away & taped the nozzle to the flexible light.  Works perfectly as it shines the spotlight and points the blower on the line.  No dust problem on the line.  Click on the 1st page of the "Gallery" tab on this site to see some of my pieces.  All Listed as "jerry1939."

http://www.menards.com/main/tools-hardware/power-tools/saws/16-performax-scroll-saw/p-1498056.htm  Maybe they don't do it anymore, but in the past, this saw was often on sale for $69.99.

2.  For any of you that might be thinking of starting scrolling, keep in mind the old saying, "Fancy tools alone don't make you a good carpenter."  You can turn out nice pieces with inexpensive tools.

jerry

agooday88

« Reply #16 on: January 04, 2015, 10:46:57 am »
I also use a small fan and it blows 90% of the dust away, but it is that 10% that accumulates right in front of the blade that is in my way. I hyperventilate blowing it away as I cut. lol( mental picture)  I think that I will try the aquarium pump trick too. Thanks

agooday88

« Reply #17 on: January 07, 2015, 09:57:50 am »
The pump idea sounds good and so does getting a fan. But would the motor on these get clogged up after a while? I read that a shop vac did and the aquarium pump motor and fan motors is quite smaller.  Just wondering.
My air pump on my saw isn't working anymore ( OLD SAW) and I am looking for other options to rectify the problem.

Offline dirtrider73068

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 07, 2015, 06:44:30 pm »
On the fish tank pumps if you look at certain spots they have a filter on the outside of them to catch household dust, so I would think you could make a small filter for those fish tank pumps to keep the dust out. Might even do test with a part of a dust mask cut out, or even a furnace filter cut a tiny piece out and put in place the filter they have from factory see if it affects the air intake of the fish pump.

SMF

Teknoromi