Author Topic: Craig's List.....  (Read 5267 times)

Offline GrayBeard

• My DW 788 sends you HUGZZZZ from Missouri, USA!
    • View Profile
Re: Craig's List.....
« Reply #30 on: July 11, 2010, 10:34:19 am »
Hey Chips...I used to sit up late at night to do on a BBS what we are doing right now. Thought I died and went to heaven when I finally got a 2400 baud modem!

Of course I also remember the CB's of the 60's and 70's!
Used to a 100 watt heater under the front seat! Boy could I 'get out'!

~~~GB~~~
I never really wanted to grow up....All I wanted was to be able to reach the cookie jar...and play with my DW 788

Offline BilltheDiver

• View Profile
« Reply #31 on: July 11, 2010, 04:16:41 pm »
My first pc was a Commodore 64.  That was before you could even buy a tape drive, much less a a hard drive.  You type in the program, and if you turned it off, you had to start over next time.  It was amazing what we could do with those early systems by comparision to the resources we have now.
"Measure twice, cut once, count fingers"

Offline Crabbyboater

• View Profile
« Reply #32 on: July 11, 2010, 05:14:48 pm »
My first was a Compaq "Luggable" (47 lbs) with two 5 1/4" floppy drives.  I wasn't sure if I should buy it with 48 or 64K, finally went for the 64.  Paid about $3,500 for it, and later added two 20 meg hard drives that slid into the card spaces.. $650 each.  Oh, yeah, and a 1,200 baud modem.  I remeber turning it on and looking at that DOS prompt, wondering what to do next.  Boy, have things changed!  Don't think scrollsaws are going to follow those same trend lines though.  You know, slide in a pattern, a bit of wood, hit start and go to lunch?  LOL.
Your web footed friend in Seattle, WA.

Becky

« Reply #33 on: July 12, 2010, 10:13:32 pm »
Aww, dgman, I was just trying to explain the bit about the lotion for the woman in the pit.  Honest, it made sense!  ;)

But we're onto computers now.  My first one was a TR-80 from Radio Shack.  I used my tv for the monitor.  It had a 300 baud modem and you had to take your phone off the hook and set it on the modem to make it work.  It took 20 minutes to download 100K.  But you could convienently download it right to a 5 1/4" floppy.

Greybeard, we probably visited some of the same BBS's back then though you could hold a gun to my head and I probably wouldn't be able to tell you their names.  :)

BigE

« Reply #34 on: July 14, 2010, 03:11:46 am »
Since you are having so much fun with Craigs List and saws and such for sale I will let you in on the ultimate search for Craigs List if you don't already know it. http://craiglook.com. You can put in an item and hit search and it will search the whole country for you. Or you can put in a city and it will search within 250 miles. Check it out. I just found out about it. You won't believe the deals out there right now. Of course you have to bring money. ha...
BigE

Offline budprine

• View Profile
« Reply #35 on: July 14, 2010, 08:59:22 pm »
Great Link BigE.
best regards,

Bud Prine

daneklund

« Reply #36 on: July 14, 2010, 09:27:43 pm »
Thanks BigE.  I will bookmark that for future use.

Offline GrayBeard

• My DW 788 sends you HUGZZZZ from Missouri, USA!
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: July 14, 2010, 11:17:14 pm »
Thanks, 'BigE'....

I too will set a tab for that!

~~~GB~~~
I never really wanted to grow up....All I wanted was to be able to reach the cookie jar...and play with my DW 788

Offline Marcellarius

• Scrolling each day, keeps the doctor away
    • View Profile
    • Some of my work
« Reply #38 on: July 17, 2010, 12:36:40 pm »
WOW, I never heard about the craigslist, but it seems there is a dutch version to.....

..... never to old to learn  8)

Marcel
Marcel

sometimes I make designer firewood....

SMF

Teknoromi