Author Topic: Up-Date on NOT USING PAINTERS TAPE.... :+}  (Read 4131 times)

Offline Danny

• View Profile
Up-Date on NOT USING PAINTERS TAPE.... :+}
« on: February 21, 2014, 02:11:29 pm »
Was just reading and re-reading the posts and ran across the one I put about painters tape and decided to say a thing or three....  It has been so long since I used Painters tape it seems strange just to think about all them Years I did use it.  And also sometimes the frustrations of peeling off the tape with the pattern after all was cut.  Or (don't miss this) using Spirits to dissolve the tapes glue stick-um.  Way to messy for me.  And some places having the tape take bits n pieces of the wood with it upon removal.  Nah! I stick with STICKY BACK STOCK.  I would guess I have Successfully cut over 4 dozen different patterns with 100% success.  Yea!
             Anyway just another 13 cents worth................Danny  :+}
Danny  :+}

thumbs

Re: Up-Date on NOT USING PAINTERS TAPE.... :+}
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2014, 07:04:08 pm »
Danny, your running out of pennies  Thumbs :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o

Offline dirtrider73068

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2014, 08:41:47 pm »
I am doing some looking right now to see where I can get these sheets to try out before ordering some from amazon, I am kinda getting tired of this painters tape and spray glue, as half the time the glue won't hold and pulls up, the tape pulls up and sometimes its a PIA to get the tape to peel off of the small cuts afraid of breaking a cut. What exactly are these called, adhesive back paper, full sheet labels? Walmart shows they have some but at 25 sheets for 12 bucks thats a little much, another has 100 sheets for a laser printer for 12 bucks but its permanent. I wonder if office supply place would have them. Or if office depot has them.

Offline edward

• View Profile
    • eds scrollwork
« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2014, 09:52:04 am »
 I have used painters tape for over a year, and needless to say I have never had a problem with it, comes off real easy, and so far I haven't broken any pieces off, guess I've been lucky.  edward

Offline Danny

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 22, 2014, 11:00:24 am »
Well I bought my supply of this paper a couple years ago off of EBAY.  Paid $10 for 250 sheets.
Still have plenty.  I did look in STAPLES a while ago and they sell it.  Sorry didn't jot down the amount or costs. 

Haven't tried it yet, but some one here uses Shelf Paper with the adhesive on back.  Think was in place of the painters tape.  Think still used spray glue for the pattern.  Said it peels off easily.

Hey Thumbs (aka Richard) Very HAPPY to see you on here..............Danny  :+}

Offline tvman44

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 22, 2014, 11:43:43 am »
I have no problems with the blue painter tape! :)
Bob Making sawdust in SW Louisiana with a
EX-21

Offline dirtrider73068

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 22, 2014, 01:07:10 pm »
I can get the tape to stick so much that it pulls wood fibers up and have to do a final sanding to smooth it, its getting the spray glue to stay stuck to the tape is my problem.

Offline daveo

• DT CRAFTS LINCS UK
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 22, 2014, 01:56:55 pm »
Guys
have you thought that the quality of tape you are using is too good. I use tape om portraits but buy it from the "cheapo" shop, a 2 inch wide roll will cost ?1or about 60 cents. the quality is not so good,it sticks but yet peels very easily.
And this business of spray mount glue, I just use again cheap glue sticks "pritstick or similar" and then just peel off.
Note if using glue stick apply to the tape and not the pattern.
On MDF and I cut a lot of that around an 8' x 4' sheet a week I use latex glue  "copydex" and that just peels away no problem.
I'd say that's my penny worth, but Danny used them all up :) :) :) :) :) :)
Dave

ChuckD

« Reply #8 on: February 22, 2014, 02:29:17 pm »
I have been using cheap masking tape and blue tape since it first came out.  I don't worry about the tape coming up because the top layer is junk.  Either door skin or posterboard.  When I am finished cutting just throw it away, pattern and all.  I spray the pattern and put it on Right Now so it never comes loose.

Offline overfifty

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 22, 2014, 04:16:39 pm »
Hi Gary. I was using the blue painters tape from the dollar stores up until this last time. I was at Rona and bought the expensive brand (just because) and found the spray adhesive didn't hold as well. A painter I've known for years tells me that the expensive brand has a wax on the "up-side", ergo, glue doesn't stick well. I filed the roll and bought the cheaper brand... no prob. Cheers, Barry.

Offline dirtrider73068

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 22, 2014, 04:26:35 pm »
Right now I have the duck brand clean release painters tape, having wax on top makes sense keep paint from sticking to it. Will try the cheap painters tape next, right now I did get me a 10 pack of avery full sheet labels for about 4 bucks giving it a go and so far nothing is peeling up at where I am cutting or show signs of even trying to lift up, and was also easy to print, stick cover with packing tape and start cutting, rather than, print, paint tape, spray glue wondering if too much not enough, then packing tape. I have thought too having too much of the spray glue once it starts being cut heats up form blade melts and gets sticky residue on the blade making cuttings harder or gumming the teeth of blade up and wearing it faster. Will see what happens when patterns needs to peel off how much better it will be, if its works will order some in a bigger pack and start using it if better, though there are different kinds of labels, as ones for laser printer ones for ink jet, permanent labels and they do say once they stick they don't come off easy, these would think would take some heat like was said to peel off, but sure a old hair dryer would do the trick.

Offline tvman44

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 22, 2014, 05:38:55 pm »
I use the Blue painters tape by Scotch/3M and the spray glue sticks just fine.  I surely don't consider the 3M a cheap brand. :)
Bob Making sawdust in SW Louisiana with a
EX-21

Rover2

« Reply #12 on: February 22, 2014, 09:04:55 pm »
Have used blue painters tape for years and have not had many problems with it.  The other day I bought a pack of 8 1/2 X 11 address labels and gave it a try.  Printed really good and stayed on the blank well but as it turns out it stayed too well.  I had to us a heat gun to remove it and it left a lot of glue residue behind.  Made a mess of the project but I managed to get it cleaned up OK using mineral spirits.  I might have bought the wrong type labels.  Won't be using these things again.  Next time I will try the adhesive sheets they are selling in scroll saw catalogs etc.  They claim they stick good and peel off easy.  It is a good concept and would love to get away from the spray glue and tape thing.
Al

LHayes

« Reply #13 on: February 22, 2014, 10:28:56 pm »
Danny, I know you bought yours on Ebay, but can you please tell us what brand you use.  Sounds like the full sheet labels are not the way to go.  I also get tired of cleaning off the tape the project.

Offline Danny

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 23, 2014, 10:12:32 am »
Just do not know what the sheets I bought 2 years back are called.  "But working in the Printing Industry all my life the name we used was STARLINER Temporary adhesive back.  Think what I am using are most likely the Temporary type as I might take 3 days to finish a project and mostly it just peels off.  NOT ALWAYS.  When this happens all I do is apply a little heat and the pattern lifts off easily.  Another few cents worth...................Danny  :+}

SMF

Teknoromi