Author Topic: I hate winter!  (Read 4119 times)

Becky

I hate winter!
« on: February 01, 2014, 12:44:22 am »
I haven't been able to work in my shop (garage) for ages and it'll be another six weeks or so before I can return (at this point I can only assume the groundhog will see his shadow).  This winter sure has been a cold one!  I haven't been coming around here much lately because it just depresses me since I can't do anything.   

I am lucky that I have a clock in progress that is inside.  It is mostly done but I am letting the finish cure before final assembly of the parts.  It's a cuckoo clock and I don't want any chance of the doors getting stuck shut.  Watching the finish dry pretty much sums up my woodworking of late.  I can't wait for spring!

Offline EIEIO

• Be Prepared.
    • View Profile
    • RMHayes, LLC
Re: I hate winter!
« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2014, 02:30:29 am »
Ditto
EX-21 arrived 2-1-2013!
Porter-Cable PCB370SS in the corner
Lancaster Ohio
Ray Hayes - RMHayes@RMHayes.US
www.RMHayes.US

Offline Dan26

• South of Milford, Ohio
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2014, 07:41:42 am »
WHAT?! Without Winter, Spring wouldn't be as important. I've lived in the south with no winter and the weather is boring for 6 months. I've lived in Alaska, snow and cold for 8 months is just a little too much. But here in Ohio, I get to enjoy all 4 seasons.

Becky, why not teach yourself to make patterns? That could be your new Winter hobby. Then you can still be active in scrolling and have some wonderful patterns of your own.
Dan (South of Milford, Ohio)

Courage - the ability to confront fear, pain, danger, uncertainty, or intimidation.

Offline chelcass

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2014, 02:43:16 pm »
Becky is there some place in your house where you can set up your saw?  I have mine in my spare bedroom, works great.  I can just shut the door if necessary.
ChelCass

Offline BilltheDiver

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 01, 2014, 11:42:33 pm »
We moved to Florida 30 odd years ago, and I would never consider going back!  Love it here.  I'm getting cabin fever just because it rained and was gloomy for 3 days (don't worry, the sun came out today and temp hit 77.  going out on the boat tomorrow.)  I love the weather and sunshine here!
"Measure twice, cut once, count fingers"

Becky

« Reply #5 on: February 01, 2014, 11:51:56 pm »
Trust me, I really do appreciate spring (always did but even more so since I started scrolling).  If winter would confine itself to maybe one month I could be good with that.  Alas, there are usually about three months in the winter and at least 2-3 weeks each summer when the garage in unendurable.  I don't really have a place in my house that would be practical.

I've tried the pattern making thing and have made a few simple things.  I am also not very (ok, not at all) artistic.  I do have a tremendous respect for people who can make patterns.  I have a witch doctor's understanding of Inkscape but Gimp eludes me completely.  Maybe I should try it again but I think following the lines is more my strength than drawing them.

So I guess I am just whining.  This winter has been super cold too.  Usually I can find a day here and there even in the winter but not this year.  I am just really looking forward to getting back into the shop.

Offline tas2181

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 02, 2014, 08:44:17 am »
I'm with you on this Becky. Seems this has been an unusually cold, snowy, and long winter here in WI. Even though my shop is in the basement of my home I still haven't felt like spending too much time there. The having to go shovel snow seemingly every day takes the wind out of my sails or maybe I'm just getting old.  ;)

Offline Kepy

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 02, 2014, 10:15:55 am »
I'm with you Becky.  I can handle the other three seasons but despise winter.  Had hoped to get some shop time in last week when we had a day of 50 degree weather and my heart chose that day to act up so no shop time. 

Offline dirtrider73068

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 02, 2014, 12:57:13 pm »
I won't be able to do anything this week, got 4 inches of snow on the ground, tue got more coming in, then thur and fri got another storm.

Offline jerry1939

• Iowa - 2 seasons. Winter & road construction.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 02, 2014, 02:06:33 pm »
Iowa only has 2 seasons.  Winter and Road Construction.

jerry1939
North Liberty, IA

Offline Billy in Va

• DONT GROW UP ITS A TRAP!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 02, 2014, 06:02:21 pm »
This one's for you Becky
Common Sense is a flower that does not grow in everyone's garden
Scrollin' - Scrollin' Scrollin' on the River

Offline cdrover(Clyde)

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 02, 2014, 08:18:34 pm »
Our winter began in November and have had snow ever since. I have a wood stove in my shed. After an hour it is toasty warm to a point where I can shed the winter jacket for a lighter one. Before Next winter I plan to install a propane heater.
What are we here for but to help others. (Author unknown)
Clyde

Offline dirtrider73068

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 02, 2014, 08:31:44 pm »
http://www.lowes.com/pd_108038-88644-TT30CL_0__?productId=3260207&Ntt=tank+top+propane+heater&pl=1&currentURL=%3FNtt%3Dtank%2Btop%2Bpropane%2Bheater&facetInfo=

This what i use except I bought mine alot cheaper at HF think got it on sale for 60, both burners on high at about 7-8 feet away keeps me warm, I also put my dual halogen lights on other side of me works great. At times I got so hot had to take my coat off.

Spartan scroller

« Reply #13 on: February 03, 2014, 11:47:14 am »
Tell ya what Becky.  I'm lookin for that groundhog and when I find him I'm kickin his....

Terry
terrysscrollshoppe.com

Offline PigsFly

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 03, 2014, 04:15:51 pm »
This is what I use to get to a tolerable temp in the garage

http://www.mrheater.com/product.aspx?catid=44&id=38

Doug

Take what you do seriously
Never take yourself too seriously

SMF