Author Topic: New clock project  (Read 4189 times)

malc

New clock project
« on: November 15, 2012, 04:55:12 am »
Hello all, sorry to have been away so long, lots of other commitments. Some of you may remember my last clock build. I did a thread on Clayton Boyers Number Six Clock. I am now about to start on another of his great clocks, the 'Bird of Paradise'. This clock uses a complicated grasshopper escapement. I will start a thread if anyone is interested.
Malc

Offline Danny

• View Profile
Re: New clock project
« Reply #1 on: November 15, 2012, 07:03:11 am »
Morning Malc....  Yes....Yes....  Looking forward....  Danny  :+}
Danny  :+}

malc

« Reply #2 on: November 15, 2012, 07:58:04 am »
Here's a utube clip of the Bird of Paradise and if my one is any near as good as this I will be very pleased. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RIjCPYqWiMs
Malc

Offline Keefie

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 15, 2012, 09:14:04 am »
I'll be looking forward to it as well. The video clip looks great, but very complicated.
It's all a case of "Mind over Matter",  The Government don't Mind, and I don't Matter.

malc

« Reply #4 on: November 22, 2012, 06:38:26 am »
Let the build begin! Frames cut out of MDF and stained Ivory. If this first attempt is Ok then it will be replaced with Cherry or walnut.
Malc

Offline julief

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 22, 2012, 06:43:48 am »
Oh boy, oh boy, oh boy!!!  Malc is building another clock!!!  For those of you who were not around for the last one, watch this thing go from plans to working clock.  It is a sight to see.  Thanks for sharing the process, Malc.  :o

rob roy

« Reply #6 on: November 22, 2012, 07:52:13 am »
Hi Malc, never saw your first clock but I'm looking forward to seeing this one. I admire your tenacity and patience in tackling something so complicated. My father's hobby was horology, repairing and making parts for clocks and watches, however, I'm afraid I didn't inherit his patience !!!!. Good luck with it Malc.
Rob Roy.

Offline newfie

• The Way I Scroll
    • View Profile
    • some of my woodworking
« Reply #7 on: November 22, 2012, 07:54:02 am »
can't wait to start seeing it come all together.

excalibur 21
Every woodworker needs a fireplace

Offline Rapid Roger

• Hutchinson, Kansas
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 22, 2012, 09:46:21 am »
Let the build begin! Frames cut out of MDF and stained Ivory. If this first attempt is Ok then it will be replaced with Cherry or walnut.
Malc

What kind of stain  are you using? I thought that Ivory was white or at least a lighter color. The pieces in the photo look more like a walnut stain to me.

Rog
An ounce of responsablity is worth 10 pounds of state and fedral laws.

malc

« Reply #9 on: November 22, 2012, 12:12:13 pm »
Malc

Sorry I meant ebony!!!!! Getting my notes messed up! Anyhow don't think the MDF will be good enough for anything else but to hang the wheels on to get them meshing correctly so got some cherry 2in turning blanks today and will rip them to 1/2in and glue the up, according to Clayton Boyer the clocks designer that should be strong enough.
Malc
What kind of stain  are you using? I thought that Ivory was white or at least a lighter color. The pieces in the photo look more like a walnut stain to me.

Rog

Offline Barry

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 22, 2012, 09:45:47 pm »
I enjoyed following your first clock build.  I hope to start one of the Bowyer clocks in the spring.  Am looking forward to watching this one come together, thanks for sharing your progress.

Barry

malc

« Reply #11 on: November 23, 2012, 12:45:49 pm »
Great wheel cut, all sixty teeth and the centre wheel pinion it runs on both mesh perfectly, got even more wood today for the frame looks like it will be redwood now.
Malc

Offline Keefie

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 23, 2012, 01:31:27 pm »
that is some nice smooth cutting there.
It's all a case of "Mind over Matter",  The Government don't Mind, and I don't Matter.

Offline wedo

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 23, 2012, 03:46:41 pm »
Oh boy, I'm looking forward to the build! I'll probably live vicariously through you.
Bill

malc

« Reply #14 on: November 24, 2012, 06:35:41 am »
Today's job done. Click gear and ratchet completed and fixed to great wheel.
Malc

SMF

Teknoromi