Author Topic: The Tale of my DeWalt 788 Scroll Saw.  (Read 1736 times)

ToverT

The Tale of my DeWalt 788 Scroll Saw.
« on: November 09, 2012, 09:13:17 pm »
Two weeks ago I bought a DeWalt 788 saw from CPO DeWalt in Georgia from their on-line store.  The Saw was a Great price and came with a light and a DeWalt stand included and Free shipping, so I went ahead and took the plunge and ordered it.  They gave a delivery date of 5 days later, but the saw showed up on a Saturday only 3 days after I ordered it.  That was great!

I immediatley unboxed it put everything together and started scrolling away.  That saw is a Beast and I loved it.

A few fays ago Al (Intarsia92) stopped by my shop to say hello and shoot the breeze.  It was a great visit from a real expert!  Al gave my 788 a test drive and observed that the tension at the hightest postion 5  1/2 was not right.  It had to much flex in it.  Actually, there wasn't much difference between setting 3 and 5 1/2.  I noticed that I was getting alot of flex on the blade when I was cutting, but what do I know, I'm a Newbie!

The next day I called my local DeWalt Service center and they said they could take a look at it but it might be 4 to 6 weeks before they could get to it.  WHAT?????  No way.

I then went back to the webpage from CPO DeWalt and looked at their guarentee.  The page stated they would replace it up to 90 days for any reason, I just had to send the saw back to them in Georgia.  Oh wow, that can't cost to much or take very long right?  Geez, I'd be out a lot of bucks for shipping not counting down time with no saw.

I decided to write their Customer Service Department a email and tell them my problem.

They immediately responded saying that they would send me a brand new saw at no cost and include a paid FedEx shipping label also.  When I receive the new saw simply package the other one up in the box and send it back.  No down time!  While I"m waiting for the new saw I can continue working away!  Just not at tension #6.

That, to me is excellent Customer Service.  I can't tell you how happy that makes me!  Of course they did put a temporary charge to my Credit Card pending the return of the defective saw.  But, heck that is fair!  I wouldn't trust me either!

So, if you are in the market for any power tool, they sell all kinds, give CPO DeWalt a shot at your business.  It's nice to find a business that looks after their customers!

Happy Scrolling
Tommy T
« Last Edit: November 09, 2012, 09:19:31 pm by ToverT »

countryscroller

Re: The Tale of my DeWalt 788 Scroll Saw.
« Reply #1 on: November 09, 2012, 09:39:24 pm »
Glad it worked out for you. Is that the Dewalt outlet? I ordered mine over the summer and had to buy the light, stand separate and total costed me about $600. I also got the easy lift of course.

Offline Keefie

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 12, 2012, 01:38:56 pm »
Now that is good customer service, as good as the service I get from Axminster Power Tools.
It's all a case of "Mind over Matter",  The Government don't Mind, and I don't Matter.

Offline dgman

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 12, 2012, 04:25:53 pm »
It's good to hear these kind of stories! I have always heard good things about CPO, and this just reaffirms it!
I have a similar story. My old type I developed the knocking that is prevalent in well used 788 saws. After making the usual adjustments over and over i finally bought a new DeWALT saw about a year ago. I did a demo at the Woodcraft store about three weeks ago. They had demos from all the major manufactures. I was talking to the DeWALT rep and he asked how I liked the DeWALT saw. I told him about my old saw, which was well over 12 or 14 years old. He said no problem, I'll replace it! Just bring in your old saw to the Woodcraft store, and he would authorize the replacement. For the past two weeks, I have been scrolling on a brand new DeWALT 788! Now I have two working saw!
Dan In Southern California

Offline BilltheDiver

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 13, 2012, 04:12:06 pm »
And with your talent you probably saw with both at once Dan!
"Measure twice, cut once, count fingers"

Offline Billy in Va

• DONT GROW UP ITS A TRAP!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 13, 2012, 04:44:26 pm »
That would be known as Dueling Dewalts
Common Sense is a flower that does not grow in everyone's garden
Scrollin' - Scrollin' Scrollin' on the River

SMF

Teknoromi