Author Topic: Free source of magnets to make fridge magnet scrolled items  (Read 1311 times)

Trev80

Hi all

Was just writing in the brag section about how I am turning some of the mini owls I cut out of 3mm MDF into fridge magnets and thought I would share how I get my magnets for free (have been getting them this way for years for the wife to scrapbook but since scrolling I will also use them on projects I cut)

Here in Australia we have what is called "Council kerbside collection" meaning that you put things you want to go to the rubbish dump/tip on the kerbside outside your house and call the council and they come and collect it and dump it for you.

It is common to have the public pull up and take things you have left for the council to pick up and people often take chairs wardrobes etc to restore and use/sell and once it is on the kerb it is legal to take what you see if you want it and the general rule is if you rummage through then dont leave the pile in a big mess and scattered all over the lawn.

If putting fridges out then the door has to be removed to prevent a child getting inside and the door closing on them.

You may not have these collections overseas but I am sure you will be able to find broken fridges if you look about.

What you need is a sharp stanley knife and you need to cut the seals off around the fridge door... When you peel the seals off you will notice a black/brown strip inside.. That is one long strip of magnet and you will find that the door has 4 strips that run the height and width of the doors...

Once you have the magents out I usually give them a wipe with a damp cloth and bleach as we all know old fridges tend to get mould around the seals.

You can then cut the strips into what ever size you need and glue them to the back of projects and you are good to go.

I know it may sound like a bit of effort but takes only minutes and a regular fridge would yield enough magnets for me to do 30-40 projects if not more.

Any further questions feel free to ask

Trev

Offline jscott2

• View Profile
Re: Free source of magnets to make fridge magnet scrolled items
« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2012, 10:33:31 pm »
Trev, good idea.  I'll watch for the next refrigerator at the curb.

Jim
Using a Delta 40-690 in the Montreal, Quebec (Canada) area

Offline jimbo

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2012, 03:21:18 am »
Great idea never thought of that
Jimbo

Offline Kepy

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 09, 2012, 08:54:49 am »
That's a good idea.  You can also get magnets from old microwaves.  I think it is the magnetron or some such that often goes out.  I used to get them from a repair shop.  They are a job to tear apart but you get some good strong magnets.  They are usually 2-3" wide and about 1/2" thick and very strong.  Don't hold two of them too close together if you don't want pinched.  I have used them to hold wrenches on the table saw and even a hammer on a metal workbench.

SMF

Teknoromi