Author Topic: Knife  (Read 3075 times)

Matthew Harper

Knife
« on: January 21, 2015, 08:31:28 pm »
Hello everyone, this is something that took over a year to complete, mainly because I was lazy, and is very special to me. It is a knife that I made after being inspired by videos on youtube, and actually got me started into woodworking. I got a scroll saw for 15$ at a garage sale, this was when I was still making the knife, because the person I bought it from said that it could cut curved lines in wood (Lol). I was interested in this because I did, in fact, need to cut curvy lines to make the wooden handle scales. I actually made 4 different sets of scales, but ended up using the last one. The first ones I made with cherry that was in my garage, but I decided I wanted something nicer. Which led to me buying spalted wood from the wood store....which I ended up cracking. After that I kind of just stopped working on it, but started to get curious about the scroll saw. I looked up some videos and was so amazed at what you could do with it. Unfortunately I also found out that my saw only accepted pinned blades, which were more expensive, broke more often, and needed bigger holes drilled for them. But I kept at it and made a lot of neat little things and started to sell some stuff. I decided to start working on the knife again and thought that with my new knowledge it would be easier. I then purchased my third set of handle scales online, they were amboya burl. I ended up doing something wrong in the glue up because when hammering the pins through the wood, the new scales cracked too. The next morning I was so frustrated and upset that I slapped on some walnut quickly, not taking too much time....and it surprisingly worked. I shaped and sanded and did all that good stuff and was finally done with that darn thing. as some of you know I just recently Bought a very fancy new saw, and have been scrolling a lot with it. Anyways just thought I'd share this with you guys, I know there isn't really that much woodworking, but if you have any questions about the knife blade itself I'll be glad to answer.    -Matt

ps. I do not hunt, this knife is merely for fiddling around in the woods and for using at home.

Offline Judy Hunter

• The world moves on.
    • View Profile
    • Artistic Sawdust and Other Fun Stuff
Re: Knife
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2015, 08:44:39 pm »
VERY NICELY DONE!!!! Patience pays off ;D
I'm from North Dakota

Offline Dan26

• South of Milford, Ohio
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2015, 08:45:25 pm »
Nice looking knife Matt. Is the blade a kit or did you make it also? I see the kits at Woodcraft all the time and am thinking of making me a knife. Walnut is a good choice as it's easy to work with and looks great. Did you put a finish on it? Thanks for showing.
Dan (South of Milford, Ohio)

Courage - the ability to confront fear, pain, danger, uncertainty, or intimidation.

Matthew Harper

« Reply #3 on: January 21, 2015, 09:34:43 pm »
yes I made the entire thing, the blade took the longest. The finish is teak oil, and I probably need to put a few more coats on

Offline DWSudekum

• View Profile
    • The DW Collection
« Reply #4 on: January 21, 2015, 10:55:17 pm »
Nicely done Matt. Perhaps the next one will be totally out of wood, perhaps a folding lock blade?  Thanks for sharing this with us.

DW
Life is tough, it is even tougher if you are stupid  -  John Wayne

Offline spirithorse

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 22, 2015, 01:17:59 am »
Nice work! Thanks for sharing and God Bless! Spirithorse

Offline frankorona

• Frankorona (Frank) (Crown)
    • View Profile
    • Frankorona?s workshop
« Reply #6 on: January 22, 2015, 10:00:21 am »
Wonderful work, thanks for sharing.

pddesertrat

« Reply #7 on: January 22, 2015, 10:42:41 am »
Very well done.

Offline herrwood

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 22, 2015, 06:05:05 pm »
What did you make the blade out of ?

Matthew Harper

« Reply #9 on: January 22, 2015, 06:35:31 pm »
the blade was made with 440c that I ordered from Texasknifemakers.com

Offline EIEIO

• Be Prepared.
    • View Profile
    • RMHayes, LLC
« Reply #10 on: January 22, 2015, 07:39:22 pm »
You did a heck of a job on that knife. On the knives I made (from blade kits - I did not make the blades) I epoxied the pins into the handle rather than try to peen them like rivets. 30 min epoxy is as strong as the wood but not as strong as the rivet. But expanding the rivet in too tight a hole will force a split.

It's hard to beat Walnut as a handle for anything - the look and feel is perfect.
EX-21 arrived 2-1-2013!
Porter-Cable PCB370SS in the corner
Lancaster Ohio
Ray Hayes - RMHayes@RMHayes.US
www.RMHayes.US

Matthew Harper

« Reply #11 on: January 22, 2015, 09:11:17 pm »
thanks for the advice EIEIO, but I actually did not peen them, when I said I was hammering them I meant hammering the pins through the holes in the wood and metal during the glue-up. sorry for the misleading information  -Matt

Offline wombatie

• Victoria Australia
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 29, 2015, 04:21:00 am »
Seems to me that once you set your mind on something you will finish it no matter what happens.  Good one Matt.

Marg
MARG

No one notices what I do until I'm not here to do it............

SMF

Teknoromi