Author Topic: Milling your own lumber questions.Need some advice!  (Read 2198 times)

Malistar22

Milling your own lumber questions.Need some advice!
« on: January 30, 2014, 02:32:41 pm »
I don't own a planer or a jointer yet, but have enough experience with them to know how to use them and when to use them. However, I have access to my dad's equipment and he lives about an hour away.

Anyway, these pictures I took from my local ReStore. Most of them are 8' lengths. Each of the 2" x 12" would cost 20 cents a foot, so quick math and that's $1.60 for a 2x12x8. If planed down and jointed, I could rip them to thickness and use them in a whole slew of toy projects. At least, that's my thought process. However, I don't even know if it's 'good' wood for woodworking projects.

Is that worth doing? I know time is money, but I have more of one and not enough of the other so to get all that lumber for pennies on the dollar and spend upfront on jointer blades am I still coming out ahead? Anyone else plane their lumber themselves and can give some advice? Sorry about some of the blurriness. Camera phone wasn't autofocusing fast enough  :D

Wood Pictures

sullycroller

Re: Milling your own lumber questions.Need some advice!
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2014, 06:14:31 pm »
From what i can tell it's all pine. but at that price it's a good deal.

sully

Offline dirtrider73068

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2014, 07:53:37 pm »
Couple of those boards look pretty dry or let to dry to fast and cracked got voids in them, if they are pine its easy to work with, heard hard to cut on the scroll as its soft and the blade likes to wonder, there are smaller powered hand planers, if you could resaw it down the thickness you need in the size you need then could use a powered hand planer like this one http://www.harborfreight.com/3-1-4-quarter-inch-electric-planer-95838.html

Offline dunk

• Staying positive.
    • View Profile
    • Mike's Wood-n-Things
« Reply #3 on: January 31, 2014, 10:24:45 am »
You can never have too much wood and if the price is right (and in this case I think it is ) jump all over it.
Mike

Junk is something you've kept for years and throw away three weeks before you need it.

Offline EIEIO

• Be Prepared.
    • View Profile
    • RMHayes, LLC
« Reply #4 on: January 31, 2014, 10:06:42 pm »
Do you have a use for this dimensional lumber? It might make a nice workbench or heavy shelving.
Look at some local cabinet shops. I got 500 bdft of birch, oak, maple, cherry, and walnut Cutoffs for $100 last summer. All <4 ft long but good for scrolling.
EX-21 arrived 2-1-2013!
Porter-Cable PCB370SS in the corner
Lancaster Ohio
Ray Hayes - RMHayes@RMHayes.US
www.RMHayes.US

Malistar22

« Reply #5 on: February 02, 2014, 03:16:44 pm »
Ray - That's actually quite hilarious. I am in fact in the need for a workbench AND heavy shelving. I picked some of the smaller lengths up already. If they are still there on Monday, I'll grab some 8 footers!

Thanks everyone for the suggestions!

SMF

Teknoromi