Author Topic: Blade problem  (Read 1890 times)

Offline bhenr99

• View Profile
Blade problem
« on: March 08, 2014, 02:25:24 pm »
I'm using FD-2/0 blades and they are hard to control and breaking. Anyone having this problem or maybe I got a bad batch. What brand 2/0 blades are you using and do they work well? Thanks for any help.

Bob

Offline EIEIO

• Be Prepared.
    • View Profile
    • RMHayes, LLC
Re: Blade problem
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2014, 02:33:52 pm »
I use FD-UR 2/0 and have not had a lot of breakage. I think the hardest thing on the blades is the heating from the cut. You could try cutting slower to reduce heating, watch you're not pushing the wood sideways into the blade, and use that plastic shipping tape over the pattern to lubricate the blade.
EX-21 arrived 2-1-2013!
Porter-Cable PCB370SS in the corner
Lancaster Ohio
Ray Hayes - RMHayes@RMHayes.US
www.RMHayes.US

Rover2

« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2014, 09:38:10 pm »
I use FD-UR 2/0 and have not had a lot of breakage. I think the hardest thing on the blades is the heating from the cut. You could try cutting slower to reduce heating, watch you're not pushing the wood sideways into the blade, and use that plastic shipping tape over the pattern to lubricate the blade.

Just curious.  Where do you get your FD-UR 2/0 blades.  I have been looking for them but have had no luck.  The smallest UR's that Mike has in his catalog is a No. 1. 
Thanks
Al

Offline Marcellarius

• Scrolling each day, keeps the doctor away
    • View Profile
    • Some of my work
« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2014, 01:31:25 am »
I use FD 2/0 and they are easy on breaking.
sometimes I think that on dozen of blades have the tendency of breaking easier then the other, maybe it's the hardening process that makes them so hard that they break more often....
just using the quick-release-clamp on my hegner will break them..... ???
so I'm very careful with the strain on the blade, always use the tension knob.
and like raymond said, heat could be the second problem, so slow is better.

but the FD 2/0 makes really nice cuts, I don't use them a lot, but on small scroll and fretwork it is sure worth the extra effort.
Marcel

sometimes I make designer firewood....

gilljc

« Reply #4 on: March 09, 2014, 04:30:43 am »
Hi,
I ordered some fd 2/0 blades from Mike on recommendation, I found that the ones I got had a tendency to wander, and more 'fuzzies' on the back than my usual olson blades. So maybe there was a bad batch.  :-\
Edit - I have also used Mike's fd spiral blades and they were easy to use
« Last Edit: March 09, 2014, 04:36:22 am by gilljc »

Offline crupiea

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 09, 2014, 12:36:24 pm »
2/0 are the biggest blade I use.

What will break them quickly is too much tension. Try backing off on it a bit and let it do its thing and they will last much longer.

Also the fast speed will break them very fast.  I set the saw on its very slowest speed.  Sounds boring but it works for me.

SMF

Teknoromi