Author Topic: Help, need your opinion.  (Read 2382 times)

Offline Barry

• View Profile
Help, need your opinion.
« on: August 27, 2010, 10:56:55 pm »
Has anyone ever used the Coyote Stencil Shop software?  I see it advertised in SSW&C and was wondering if anyone new anything about it. 

Or does anyone know of a good software for creating patterns?  Anything I use would have to be fairly simple as I am computer illiterate.

Thanks,
Barry

Offline julief

• View Profile
Re: Help, need your opinion.
« Reply #1 on: August 27, 2010, 11:14:08 pm »
I have coyote, I like it so far but am still trying to navigate. 

Offline dgman

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 27, 2010, 11:20:59 pm »
Hey julie, Take all the time you need to learn that program, but please report back to us about  it. A lot of people here interested!
Dan In Southern California

Offline Marcellarius

• Scrolling each day, keeps the doctor away
    • View Profile
    • Some of my work
« Reply #3 on: August 28, 2010, 04:42:45 am »
sorry Barry, never heard of Coyote stencil shp software.
I use corel.
Grampa advised inkscape for vectors and I tried that. still learning inkscape but i think it's a nice program to.

marcel
Marcel

sometimes I make designer firewood....

Offline julief

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 28, 2010, 07:53:28 am »
I've got the basics of Coyote.  It's very user friendly and have made a few patterns off of photos.  The advanced capabilities is where I still need to work.  It can bring things in in layers and I still have not got that part of it down.  There is a tutorial on their website if anyone is interested.  I think it was well worth the money.

Offline Russ C

• Global Moderator
  • Central Florida - USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 28, 2010, 07:56:15 am »
I have only made a few patterns off of photos. When I do I use Adobe Photoshop.
 8)
russ@simplywoodencreations.com

Keep The Blade On The Line.

Offline Barry

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 28, 2010, 10:54:49 pm »
Thanks for the responses.  I will go to the website and see what they have to offer.  Marcel, you can't miss the advertisments in Scrollsaw Woodworking & Crafts and in Creative Woodworks and Crafts.  They are always right in the first few pages. 

I have paid to have folks, Sue Mey and Charlie Dearing particularly, to make patterns for me and they are always top quality.  The Pattern
requests page on this site is great and you can't beat the price  :)

I would like to start making my on patterns just for the satisfaction of doing something start to finish.  The "user friendly" part is good to hear Julief.  Do you think you would you buy Coyote now with what you know about the software?

Barry

Offline julief

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 29, 2010, 08:30:38 am »
Yes, I would still buy it.  There are a few features that I really like.  It shows the fall out and you can view it on a variety of woods.  Although, I can cut just about anything, I can't draw a straight line with a ruler.  I lack the talent to draw a pattern.  I have revised a few to suit my needs or combined patterns to get the result I want, but just do not have the where with all to draw one from scratch.  I even made a light box to attempt this.  Still - no luck.

ChaplainRon

« Reply #8 on: August 29, 2010, 09:19:37 am »
I don't see anything it can do that I can't do with Photoshop. For a beginner it will still have a learning curve. It isn't as easy as photo in and pattern out.

Ron

Offline Barry

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 30, 2010, 01:09:18 am »
That is good to know Julief and I know what you mean about the straight lines.  :) 

Thanks for responding Ron.  I am looking for something that is very specific with instructions for going from picture to completed pattern.  When I say I am intimidated by computers, I am not kidding.  Photoshop is probably a fine and versatile program but I really want something that does one thing, in this case scrollsaw patterns.  I know there is a learning curve and I don't expect to hit two buttons and be done (although it would be nice). 

When I am forced to call IT people at work, it never fails, in trying to be helpful they give me too many options.  I just need one way of getting from point "A" to point "B".  When you ask a computer person, "What time is it?" they tell you how to build a clock.  ???

Thanks everyone for responding,
Barry

ChaplainRon

« Reply #10 on: August 30, 2010, 05:00:05 am »
Here is Steve's Review.

http://scrollsawworkshop.blogspot.com/2008/08/coyote-stencil-shop-review.html

Download the trial version and give it a trial.

Ron

Offline julief

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 30, 2010, 07:31:45 am »
Barry,  The program also came with a book.  Yes, an actual book.  I don't have to push help and wait for an explanation that I don't understand.  I may not be computer literate, but I can read and follow instructions.  If I get really stuck, there is a phone number.  I haven't called it yet but it is nice to know I can.

Offline Barry

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 30, 2010, 11:11:35 pm »
Here is Steve's Review.

http://scrollsawworkshop.blogspot.com/2008/08/coyote-stencil-shop-review.html

Download the trial version and give it a trial.

Ron

Thanks Ron, I didn't know Steve had reviewed it.  I will check it out.

Barry

Offline Barry

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 30, 2010, 11:14:56 pm »
Thanks Julief.

Barry

SMF

Teknoromi