Author Topic: Portrait Wood  (Read 1853 times)

Offline scotti158

• View Profile
Portrait Wood
« on: November 12, 2014, 05:46:50 pm »
Hello everyone, I was thinking about trying some portrait cutting. What is the best plywood for this and where would be a good place to get it? Thanks!
Tilt-O-Scroll DW788 Owner/Operater

Offline Donrob

• View Profile
    • Old Crow Scrollwerks
Re: Portrait Wood
« Reply #1 on: November 12, 2014, 06:35:45 pm »
Either 1/4 inch or 1/8 inch Baltic Birch Plywood. I recommend that you stack cut at least three pieces. Sloans http://www.sloanswoodshop.com/plywoods.htm or Ocooch Hardwoods are great suppliers. http://ocoochhardwoods.com/plywood.php
Don R
CUSTOM DESIGNED SCROLL SAW PATTERNS
www.oldcrowscrollwerks.weebly.com

Offline Dan26

• South of Milford, Ohio
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 12, 2014, 06:36:22 pm »
I use 1/8" Baltic birch ply. I get it from http://www.sloanswoodshop.com/plywoods.htm. Great prices and fast service.
Dan (South of Milford, Ohio)

Courage - the ability to confront fear, pain, danger, uncertainty, or intimidation.

Rover2

« Reply #3 on: November 12, 2014, 08:18:04 pm »
I also use 1/8" baltic birch ply and get it from Ocooch Hardwoods.

Al

Offline Barry

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 13, 2014, 12:41:12 am »
I use Baltic birch 1/8" plywood and like Don R, I stack cut three pieces.  I have used both Ocooch and Sloans', they are very good suppliers.  If there is a Woodcraft store near you, they have Baltic birch in different sizes and you want have to pay shipping cost.  Be careful and don't buy Finnish ply, it looks the same but is crazy expensive.

Barry

Offline EIEIO

• Be Prepared.
    • View Profile
    • RMHayes, LLC
« Reply #5 on: November 13, 2014, 03:43:52 pm »
I prefer 1/4" BB Ply for portraits - I like the depth it gives the image. I get mine from Wood Werx in Gahanna OH. It comes in 5'x5' sheets (apparently all real Baltic Birch Plywood is in 5x5 sheets rather than 4x8). They sell 1/8" BB Ply for $19 and 1/4" for $29.

BUT some of my favorite portraits have been cut in 1/4" red oak and 1/4" poplar. If you can't resaw a thicker board, you can get those solids at Menards and Lowes.
EX-21 arrived 2-1-2013!
Porter-Cable PCB370SS in the corner
Lancaster Ohio
Ray Hayes - RMHayes@RMHayes.US
www.RMHayes.US

Offline scotti158

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 14, 2014, 04:07:21 pm »
I found some 1/8" Birch plywood in my basement and tried my first portrait. I used a spiral blade on the first attempt and was not happy at all with the results. I then tried a #1 blade and made a zero clearance table top for the DW788 and it turned out much better. I backed the portrait with another layer of plywood painted black.

Tilt-O-Scroll DW788 Owner/Operater

Offline pierre62

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 14, 2014, 04:39:59 pm »
very nice done!
Pierre

ChuckD

« Reply #8 on: November 16, 2014, 02:02:55 pm »
I also use the 1/8 inch Baltic Birch Plywood, and have gotten it at the same two stores.  The reason I like 1/8 over 1/4 most of the time it will fit in frames, and 95% of the time I frame and glass my portraits.  Also with 1/8, I can cut up to 6 pieces at a time, stack cut of course.

SMF

Teknoromi