Author Topic: audio: use of blades in  (Read 1283 times)

Offline frankorona

• Frankorona (Frank) (Crown)
    • View Profile
    • Frankorona?s workshop
audio: use of blades in
« on: February 26, 2011, 08:24:41 am »
Hi Steve:
Could you put in your blog writing "Which scroll saw blade Should I use?"
I do not speak English well, better get it in writing.
if I have difficulty in something I use google translator.
The audio information you gave me seems important.
I would like to translate it in writing and print.
Thank you for your attention

Hola Steve:
?podr?as poner en tu blog por escrito "Which scroll saw blade should I use?"
yo no hablo bien el ingl?s, lo entiendo mejor por escrito.
si tengo alguna dificultad en algo utilizo el traductor de google.
La informaci?n que diste en audio me parece importante.
Me gustar?a tenerla por escrito para traducirla e imprimirla.
Gracias por tu atenci?n.

Chachi

Re: audio: use of blades in
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2011, 10:21:20 am »
If I may, Frank I hve seen some of your work belive me you already know what is in the audio he just talks about the use of 3,5,7 blades and what wood they are used for then once you get better you can move up to spiral and so on which you my friend are far from starting out.

I'm sure that he will also put it in writing for you as well I'm am hust telling you the short version so you will know that you did not miss anything.

Offline mrsn

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2011, 03:09:03 pm »
I transcribed his audio. Hope it helps.
MrsN

Hello, this is Steve Good with the scroll saw workshop and welcome to this week?s sixty second tip.
I want to try to answer a question that I received in my email in box usually more than once a week. And that is a question from a new scroller who has just bought their scroll saw and they are trying to find out which blades to buy and use for any particular project.
 This is a tough question because there are so many terms in the selection of scroll saw blades that it is confusing.
First of all you start out with pin end and plain end blades. Then you have a numbering system usually a 3-0 up to a number 12. Then inside of each of those number specs for blades you have straight toothed blades, crowned tooth blades, skipped tooth blades, reverse toothed blades and it just goes on and on. After that you have to look at teeth per inch, the width, the thickness of the blade. And it really can get confusing. So I want to try to narrow it down for you with a little bit finer detail so you can get started without having to worry about all those facts
The first thing to consider is that there are two basic types of blades, that?s the pin end blade and the plain end blade. For the most part for fine fretwork you can eliminate the pin end blade; they are for very coarse type work. So that leaves us with the plain end blades. When you get to the plain end blades don?t spend a lot of time when you get started worrying about all these specifications. If you look at the patterns on my blog probably 80 to 90 percent of all those patterns I cut with a scroll reverse number 5 blade. Now I have just about every blade made but a lot of them I just use for special projects. When you look at the numbering system, they go from a very small number up to a larger number. The smaller the number the finer the blade, the more teeth per inch. The larger the number the fewer teeth per inch, its thicker. You?re going to use the finer blade on thinner material or more detailed fret work. You?re going to use the larger blades on thicker material with less detailed fretwork. Now even that?s not 100% true because you?ll mix and match sometimes.
Here is my recommendation, don?t worry about any of the specialty blades when you are first getting started. Buy yourself a selection of number 3, number 5 and number 7 reverse tooth blades and that will get probably anything you want to cut as you are just getting started on the scroll saw taken care of.
I personally like the scroll reverse blades because they reduce the amount of splintering on the bottom of the wood and just give you less sanding.
Okay once you have practiced with those blades for a while, you can move into some of specialty blades. The spiral blades, which a lot of the people who cut portraits use the spiral blades. The spiral blades just simply cut in any direction without having to turn the wood and it makes cutting the real fine detail work of a portrait easier. Then you have the polar blades that you would use for the harder woods or corian. You also have metal cutting blades; you can cut thin metal with a scroll saw. So get in to the specialty blades after you have spent some time with your scroll saw and you are more used to the specs on these scroll saw blades.
So I hope this helps a little bit. I think my basic thing is that when you are trying to select a scroll saw blade keep it simple. Start out with a small number of blades, use them for a while, if you see that you would like to try thinner blades or thicker blades then buy those later. Hope this helps a little bit.
I?m Steve Good, thanks for stopping by the scroll saw workshop I?ll talk to you next time with another 60 second tip

Offline dgman

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2011, 03:16:07 pm »
Way to go Katie! Now can you translate it into Spanish for Frank? ::)
« Last Edit: February 26, 2011, 06:53:55 pm by dgman »
Dan In Southern California

Offline mrsn

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 26, 2011, 05:15:46 pm »
I could do parts in spanish, but not very well. My dad moved from Minnesota to Mexico a couple of years ago, so I have been trying to get better at it.

Chachi

« Reply #5 on: February 26, 2011, 09:26:54 pm »
<insert clapping smiley here> WTG Katie wow I can't type that fast I am a hunt and peck kinda guy but I am getting faster at it lol

Offline Russ C

• Global Moderator
  • Central Florida - USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 27, 2011, 04:39:40 am »
Hola, este es Steve buena con la sierra del taller y la bienvenida a punta de sesenta segundos de esta semana.
Quiero tratar de responder a una pregunta que he recibido en mi correo electr?nico en la casilla por lo general m?s de una vez a la semana. Y eso es una pregunta de un desplazador de texto nuevo que acaba de comprar su sierra y que est?n tratando de averiguar qu? l?minas para comprar y utilizar para cualquier proyecto en particular.
 Esta es una pregunta dif?cil porque hay muchos t?rminos en la selecci?n de desplazamiento hojas de sierra que es confuso.
En primer lugar se empieza con el extremo del perno y cuchillas lisos. Entonces usted tiene un sistema de numeraci?n por lo general un 3-0 a un n?mero de 12. A continuaci?n, en el interior de cada una de las especificaciones de n?mero de hojas que tienen hojas rectas con dientes, hojas de corona del diente, se salt? las cuchillas de dientes, cuchillas de dientes de atr?s y simplemente sigue y sigue. Despu?s de que usted tiene que mirar los dientes por pulgada, el ancho, el espesor de la l?mina. Y realmente puede prestarse a confusi?n. Por eso quiero tratar de reducir el n?mero para usted con un detalle poco m?s fino poco para que pueda empezar sin tener que preocuparse de todos los hechos
Lo primero a considerar es que hay dos tipos b?sicos de las hojas, que es la hoja de extremo de la pata y la hoja lisos. Para la mayor parte de calado lo permite se puede eliminar la hoja de extremo de la pata, son para el trabajo de tipo muy grueso. As? que nos deja con las cuchillas lisos. Al llegar a las cuchillas lisos no pasan mucho tiempo en el que empezar a preocuparse por todas estas especificaciones. Si nos fijamos en los patrones en mi blog probablemente el 80 al 90 por ciento de todos los patrones que cortar con un pergamino n?mero inversa 5 hojas. Ahora tengo casi todas las hoja de hecho, pero muchos de ellos s?lo tiene que utilizar para proyectos especiales. Cuando nos fijamos en el sistema de numeraci?n, que van desde un n?mero muy peque?o hasta un n?mero mayor. Cuanto m?s peque?o sea el n?mero, m?s fina es la hoja, los dientes m?s por pulgada. Cuanto mayor sea el n?mero de los dientes menos por pulgada, la m?s gruesa. Vas a utilizar la hoja m?s fina de un material m?s fino o m?s detallada traste trabajo. Usted va a utilizar las hojas m?s grandes de un material m?s grueso con menos calado detallada. Ahora, hasta eso no es 100% cierto porque usted mezclar y combinar a veces.
Aqu? est? mi recomendaci?n, no te preocupes por ninguna de las l?minas de la especialidad cuando eres el primero de empezar. C?mprese una selecci?n del n?mero 3, n?mero 5 y n?mero 7 hojas de diente de marcha atr?s y que har? que probablemente cualquier cosa que usted quiere cortar a medida que se acaba de empezar en la sierra cuidado.
Personalmente, me gusta el rollo hojas inversa, ya que reducen la cantidad de fragmentaci?n en la parte inferior de la madera y s?lo le dan menos de lijado.
Bueno una vez que han practicado con las hojas por un tiempo, puede pasar a algunos de l?minas de la especialidad. Las cuchillas de espiral, que muchos de los retratos de las personas que cortan utilizar las hojas en espiral. Las cuchillas espiral simplemente cortar en cualquier direcci?n sin tener que encender la madera y hace el verdadero trabajo de corte fino detalle de un retrato m?s f?cil. Entonces usted tiene las hojas polares que se uso para el bosque m?s o corian. Usted tambi?n tiene hojas de corte de metal, se puede cortar el metal delgado con una sierra de calar. As? que para las cuchillas especiales despu?s de haber pasado alg?n tiempo con su sierra de calar y que est?n m?s acostumbrados a las especificaciones de estas hojas de sierra de desplazamiento.
As? que espero que esto ayude un poco. Creo que mi Lo b?sico es que cuando usted est? tratando de seleccionar una hoja de sierra que sea sencillo. Comienza con un peque?o n?mero de hojas, el uso por un tiempo, si usted ve que a usted le gustar?a probar las hojas m?s delgadas o m?s gruesas hojas y luego comprar los que m?s tarde. Espero que esto ayude un poco.
Soy Steve Bueno, gracias por venir a la sierra de calar taller voy a hablar con usted la pr?xima vez con otro punta de 60 segundos

Thanks to Katie for the transcript.  :)
« Last Edit: February 27, 2011, 09:45:18 am by Russ C »
russ@simplywoodencreations.com

Keep The Blade On The Line.

Offline frankorona

• Frankorona (Frank) (Crown)
    • View Profile
    • Frankorona?s workshop
Thank you very much
« Reply #7 on: February 27, 2011, 08:46:43 am »
Thank you for taking the time to listen, transcribe and translate what was said by Steve.
For me it was a great help.
I have no experience with wood, in fact I learned on my own, so all work related to interest me.
Says an old saying that "no question who do not learn."
Again, thank you very much for your patience and interest.
Greetings

Mil gracias por el tiempo que se tomaron en escuchar, transcribir y traducir lo dicho por Steve.
Para m? fu? de gran ayuda.
No tengo experiencia con la madera, de hecho he aprendido por mi cuenta, as? que todo lo relacionado al trabajo me interesa.
Dice un viejo refr?n que "quien no pregunta no aprende."
De nuevo muchas gracias por su paciencia e inter?s.
Saludos

SMF

Teknoromi