Author Topic: Entry level saw  (Read 3450 times)

Offline Gabby

• Yer durn tootin'!
    • View Profile
Entry level saw
« on: January 30, 2011, 03:57:12 am »
Steve do you have any information, pro or con on the Craftsman 16'' Variable Speed Scroll Saw model (21602) it's on sale now for  $107 which is about all I can afford. Any others you have heard good things about in this price range? Are any from the sites like grizzly or harbour freight any good. A lathe I bought from HF was junk, so I'm kind of shy of their products.
Gabby
MOLON LABE.
TRUST IN GOD!
 DON'T BELIEVE ALL YOU HEAR & DON'T SAY ALL THAT YOU THINK !

tux_linux

Re: Entry level saw
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2011, 04:11:37 am »
Good Reviews on this saw

You will need to change the blade clamps, but as these clamps are "standard design" and used by a lot of manufacturers, it will be a quit simple thing to find well working clamps.

regards
Torsten

Offline Gabby

• Yer durn tootin'!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2011, 04:32:53 am »
Thanks Torsten I've read good reviews too, but was looking to hear from someone who had first hand experience with any of the less expensive saws. I'm pretty confident I won't be getting a Ryobi after what I've read here and elsewhere.
Gabby
MOLON LABE.
TRUST IN GOD!

sp_343

« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2011, 04:52:39 am »
Gabby:  Steve has 2 YouTube videos on the Craftsman saw that you are looking at.  He has them posted in this older blog entry: 

http://scrollsawworkshop.blogspot.com/2009_08_08_archive.html

Or this link to the first video on YouTube:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bRfp9jKDcZQ

and video number two:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gub81Jx5eds

Offline julief

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 30, 2011, 06:38:54 am »
Gabby, It's real simple, buy what you can afford.  I used to have to do demos on the Ryobi.  Not my favorite saw, but it got the job done.  I have seen incredible work done on the cheapest saw.  I started with an 18" Dremel and when I moved up I wondered how on earth I used it for so long, then I saw an article on a guy who cut these amazing buildings with tons of fretwork and he was using the same Dremel I had.  It just goes to show what you can do with talent.  He was truley amazing.

boxmaker

« Reply #5 on: January 30, 2011, 11:21:38 am »
Gabby, my first saw was a low end Delta 16", I think I paid around $119.00 for it. You learn to work with the saw, the Delta had a quit a bit of vibration, the first thing I did was set the saw on a stack of old towels to reduce the vibration, then I built a sand box base for it, this really helped reduce the vibration. I never used a Craftsmen, but what I am saying is if you really want to scroll saw, then buy what you can afford and you will make it work. There will be times you will get frustrated (believe me I have been there), but I enjoyed scrolling enough I made it work. Hope to see you cut something soon.

Mark

Offline GrayBeard

• My DW 788 sends you HUGZZZZ from Missouri, USA!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 30, 2011, 11:38:58 am »
I started with a Craftsman 16" older model...

Adequate saw and it served me well to learn.
I did have a windfall and immediately went to the Dw788.

The blade changing system was the only major thing I objected to on the Crarftsman but it was workable.

~~~GB~~~
I never really wanted to grow up....All I wanted was to be able to reach the cookie jar...and play with my DW 788

emtdonald

« Reply #7 on: February 02, 2011, 10:27:53 am »
the porter cable is probably the better entry level saw. it haa a stand work light and low vibration its 189 at lowes

Offline Gabby

• Yer durn tootin'!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 02, 2011, 02:37:44 pm »
Thanks Don T
If I had that kind of money, I would probably go that route. However I'm shopping the used stuff and If I have to buy new the craftsman at $120 is about as high as I can go, and would probably hear some squeals from the book keeper at that. I'm looking for a 2 speed at minimum and would prefer a variable, and able to take plain ended blades. Someone posted a new DeWalt and stand still in the boxes on Medford Craig's list for about $325 if anyone wants to look at it, to rich for my blood. I'm still PO'd my brother got one at a garage sale for $75 barely used! The worst part is his wife is just going to use it for little projects around the house. Arrrggggg...
Gabby
MOLON LABE.
TRUST IN GOD!

chief

« Reply #9 on: February 03, 2011, 02:11:15 am »
Gabby where are you located?  I have an old Delta 16" VS that served me great.  I was gonna set it up,but I dont have the room for 2 saws.

tux_linux

« Reply #10 on: February 03, 2011, 03:05:45 am »
It will do!

The swimmer always complains about his trunks if he didn't win  :D

so start doing what you want to do.

To my opinion, there is a lot of practice needed to use a saw in a adequate way. I stick to my entry level saw until I notice the need for a more advanced model.

regards
Torsten

Offline Gabby

• Yer durn tootin'!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 03, 2011, 03:24:18 am »
Thanks Torsten,
I appreciate the advice. I figured lots of practice would be necessary, after watching Steve's videos and how quickly he moved without seeming to even think about it. Much like any other machine, at first you go slow and speed comes with practice. I plan to scrounge up as much scrap lumber as I can to make lots of little pieces and sawdust from.  ;D
Gabby
MOLON LABE.
TRUST IN GOD!

Offline Gabby

• Yer durn tootin'!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 17, 2011, 11:13:46 pm »
Just to finish out this subject. I received a Delta 40-540 and am extremely satisfied with it, and am in the process of learning how to use it. I attached it to a piece of 1" plywood with indoor/outdoor carpeting sandwiched between the base of the saw and the plywood, then clamped it to my work table with a piece of wood about 1 1/4" thick to raise the back end some. It will vibrate if I push it but not really excessively if I had a more solid surface to attach it to I could probably go full speed.
Thanks for everyones input and suggestions, I'm sure other newbies will appreciate the information included here.
As do I!
Gabby
MOLON LABE.
TRUST IN GOD!

Chachi

« Reply #13 on: February 18, 2011, 07:50:12 am »
I own a Craftsman Scroll saw yes it does have problems such as blade changes but after awhile you figure out how to do it an "easier way" then it is nothing, The tesion wheel is in the back of the saw which I wish was in the front would make it so much easier, the arm does not lift up so blade postioning isnt as easy. but other then that I have not found any problems with it.
  If you want to go with an entry level to get started I say go with the Craftsman saw.

Offline newfie

• The Way I Scroll
    • View Profile
    • some of my woodworking
« Reply #14 on: February 18, 2011, 08:53:03 am »
Hi Gabby i got a craftman saw i know its not the best saw by far out there on the market but it gets the job done.i have done quite a few projects over the years with it and it hasn't caused me to much grief,as far as the blade clamps goes it isn't to bad alot better then the first scrollsaw i had,had to use a hex key wrench to change the blade.   

excalibur 21
Every woodworker needs a fireplace

SMF

Teknoromi