Author Topic: Back Street Designs Pattern Books - Copyright Implications?  (Read 2572 times)

PaulK

Back Street Designs Pattern Books - Copyright Implications?
« on: January 25, 2011, 02:29:44 pm »
Hi -

I recently came across images from some 1980s Back Street Designs Pattern Books. Originally intended for paper cutting, they are ideal for scrollsawing.

The books are now long out of print and only isolated copies seem available second hand, and none of these here in the UK.

BSD were originally in Alabamha, and I can now only trace a web page design company of that name.

I have emailed the Guild of American Papercutters to ask about copyright issues for these patterns and had no reply. Their web site does not seem to be "live" so I don't know where to go next.

Does anyone know who now owns the copyright to Back Street Designs Pattern Books content. If I can't establish a copyright owner, am I entitled to cut the patterns or not?

Thanks - Paul

Offline dgman

• View Profile
Re: Back Street Designs Pattern Books - Copyright Implications?
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2011, 10:44:36 pm »
It seems to me you will be fine cutting the patterns, you just can't make coppies to sell or give away.
Dan In Southern California

tux_linux

« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2011, 05:37:42 am »
Dan says it - you can cut pattern as you want, just do not sell the patterns.

If you cut a pattern, it is a kind of "art object". And those are not limited. There is just a limit when it comes to selling those items. For example, one is not allowed to sell items representing certain company logos or sport emblems.

regards
Torsten

Offline Russ C

• Global Moderator
  • Central Florida - USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 26, 2011, 07:58:46 am »
If you have the books you can use the patterns as you wish without any problems. As stated you just can't sell the paterns.   8)
russ@simplywoodencreations.com

Keep The Blade On The Line.

Offline jimbo

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 26, 2011, 09:00:07 pm »
Give them away???? patterns that is
Jimbo

SMF

Teknoromi