Author Topic: Unity Cross  (Read 7895 times)

Doug

Unity Cross
« on: November 29, 2010, 07:27:23 am »
A while back you had a pattern of a Unity Cross which I printed but never made. I understand from searching around the net that there was a copyright issue and you had to pull the pattern. My daughter is getting married and would love for me to make the unity cross for her ceremony. How much do I have to alter the pattern in order not to create problems legally?

imagestowood.com

Offline Judy Hunter

• The world moves on.
    • View Profile
    • Artistic Sawdust and Other Fun Stuff
Re: Unity Cross
« Reply #1 on: November 29, 2010, 09:41:16 am »
Since you are making it for your own use and not selling it, I wouldn't think there would be a problem.  It will be a cherished part of their wedding I am sure.
I'm from North Dakota

Offline dunk

• Staying positive.
    • View Profile
    • Mike's Wood-n-Things
« Reply #2 on: November 29, 2010, 11:15:03 am »
I agree, so long as it is a gift I would not worry about it.  Hope they have a lovely wedding.
Mike

Junk is something you've kept for years and throw away three weeks before you need it.

Doug

« Reply #3 on: November 29, 2010, 02:58:48 pm »
Thanks for the replies and well wishes my friends! I guess I should have worded my question more carefully. What if I did want to sell my version or variation of the unity cross? How much different would I have to make it to stay out of trouble. I would design something totally different than what I designed for my daughter to make it unique for someone else to buy. They seem to be getting pretty popular here in NY.

Offline dunk

• Staying positive.
    • View Profile
    • Mike's Wood-n-Things
« Reply #4 on: November 30, 2010, 12:54:04 pm »
If it is totally different then it is a non-issue huh?  Go for it.
Mike

Junk is something you've kept for years and throw away three weeks before you need it.

Doug

« Reply #5 on: December 10, 2010, 11:23:18 am »
It turns out that I/we can not make any Unity Cross of any kind due to very strict patent and copyright restrictions. I spoke with Mike Letney who holds the pattern and copyright last night and he explained it to me. It doesnt matter how much you alter the original, you just can't do it. Mike was a real pleasure to speak with and I am not taking this any further.

SMF

Teknoromi