Author Topic: sCROLL SAW DEFECTS OR MAINTENANCE ISSUES TO LOOK OUT FOR ?  (Read 2283 times)

Offline JohnDoe

• View Profile
sCROLL SAW DEFECTS OR MAINTENANCE ISSUES TO LOOK OUT FOR ?
« on: April 01, 2016, 05:56:27 pm »
Hey guys, Just gone and bought a cheep and nasty second hand scroll saw ! Never used one before and im finding it difficult to cut wood with the thing. Ive tightened the blade as far as the adjustment will go and it still wont cut darn it. Im wondering are there any issues such as play in bearings or bushes that can lead to problems. I suspect the blades are not the best as they look old and might be a little dull but im only guessing as i have no new ones to compare them against. Anyway Im going to have a look through the forum now for tips n tricks for the beginner. and order up some new blades. Im in the UK so any suggestions on sizes or makers to purchase from would be great or is just anything of e-bay alright ? Thanks for your help guys.

Offline Jim-78028

• View Profile
Re: sCROLL SAW DEFECTS OR MAINTENANCE ISSUES TO LOOK OUT FOR ?
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2016, 06:43:52 am »
It would help if we knew what brand of scroll saw you bought.

Check the blade, it must be at a right angle to the top of the table (left to right), if it is too far off it binds the blade.

Sharp blades are a must, they are tiny and they wear out, buy some new ones.

Slowly feed the wood into the blade, watch the blade if when you are cutting it is being pushed to the back you are feeding the wood too fast/hard. 

Offline dunk

• Staying positive.
    • View Profile
    • Mike's Wood-n-Things
« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2016, 11:59:48 am »
Make sure the blade is in right side up teeth pointing down and to the front of the saw.

Please no all caps when posting.
Mike

Junk is something you've kept for years and throw away three weeks before you need it.

Offline Hawkdave

• Adelaide, Australia.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 02, 2016, 05:40:33 pm »
Hi JohnDoe, and welcome to the forum.

Unfortunately, I cannot help you with your problem. I am sure though, you will get the right answers from the members with plenty of experience.

Good Luck

Dave.
My parents must have been psychic, as a child they were always telling me to 'Cut It Out'. So they knew a long time ago that I would become a scroll saw artist.

Offline jscott2

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 03, 2016, 09:49:57 am »
Many of us here use Flying Dutchman blades. To the best of my knowledge, Mike's Workshop http://www.mikesworkshop.com/blades.htm (still in business but now owned by Wooden Teddy Bear) ships FD blades to the UK.  FD blades are made in Germany so there might be a closer source.

A few links that might give you some help.  http://stevedgood.com/community/index.php?topic=13786.0  http://stevedgood.com/community/index.php?topic=14640.0  and http://www.ukworkshop.co.uk/forums/buying-flying-dutchman-blades-t93955.html

Good luck,
Jim
Using a Delta 40-690 in the Montreal, Quebec (Canada) area

Offline ktempleman

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 03, 2016, 01:42:27 pm »
Hi JohnDoe,
I'm also in the UK. I started scrolling just over a year ago and bought a Scheppach saw. It's not the best, but not the worst either. I use Pegas pinless blades. After almost a year learning curve and cutting all manner of patterns for practice I am now making my first wooden clock. At first I was using the saw too fast resulting in high vibration, but now try to restrict speed to 50% dependant on wood thickness and density.

Keith.

SMF

Teknoromi