Author Topic: Best scroll saw to buy  (Read 2804 times)

samamish1

Best scroll saw to buy
« on: December 06, 2013, 04:51:30 pm »
Hi there.  I'm new to scroll sawing and have been working on a veeeeeery old scroll saw..maybe one of the first ones invented.  Anyway, it's a real hassle to change the blades to do inside work and it's got about a 12 inch arm (ideally I'd like longer).  So I'm looking into buying a new one and I was hoping for some suggestions??  I have no idea what brands are good or what to look for (I DO know to look for one that will accept pin and straight blades).  Ideally, I'd like it to be a good value, too--I know you have to give up quality if you're not willing to spend over, say, $300 or $400.  So any ideas out there to point me in the right direction would be much appreciated!

countryscroller

Re: Best scroll saw to buy
« Reply #1 on: December 06, 2013, 05:04:36 pm »
So it sounds to me you are using a foot pedal saw? Electric saws work great :) Well some suggestions are Dewalt 788, Excalibur, Hegner, Delta, there are many to choose from. Pretty much all accept plain end blades, just as you go higher in price, the better at precision and whatnot you get. I have a Dewalt and love it. Not having any experience with anything else, I can't say anything about other saws, so maybe someone else can help.

Offline EIEIO

• Be Prepared.
    • View Profile
    • RMHayes, LLC
« Reply #2 on: December 07, 2013, 01:13:38 pm »
There are 3 classes to consider - low cost, medium, and high. If you need to stay below $200 I'd suggest the Porter-Cable. It comes with a light and stand for $180. It's a good saw but without some of the details. Avoid the saw <$100 - you'll just have to upgrade sooner.

I upgraded from the P-C to an Excaliber EX-21. It is a great saw but costs >$800 with stand. I like the tilting blade rather than table.

The Hegners and RBI Hawk sell for >$1000 new. My understanding is that the Hawk is difficult to change blades. I've seen several Hawks and Hegners on ebay, so you might look there for a week or two before buying a new saw.

Many of the blog members use DeWalt - they can tell you about them.
EX-21 arrived 2-1-2013!
Porter-Cable PCB370SS in the corner
Lancaster Ohio
Ray Hayes - RMHayes@RMHayes.US
www.RMHayes.US

Offline mrsn

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 07, 2013, 07:14:52 pm »
I agree with EIEIO. I really like the porter-cable for a budget saw. I bought it for my middle school shop, and I have a similar model at home.  I have a couple of Dewalts in my high school shop, but I upgraded to the Excalibur. I will probably never have to upgrade again.

Hawk and Hegner both come standard with blade changing that requires tools. I believe both can be modified with after-market blade clamps, but if I spend that kind of money I shouldn't have to buy after-market parts.

A friend of mine has an Eclipse, and loves it. It cost a ton, runs smooth as can be, but looks big and bulky and blade changing isn't fun.

Another thought I have on the subject is that not everyone will use their scroll saw enough to notice the difference between a porter-cable and an Excalibur. 

Corker2

« Reply #4 on: December 11, 2013, 05:15:00 pm »
As for myself, I don't have anything like a Excaliber or any other fancy saw.  I use the Craftsman 16" Variable Speed that was just a bit over $100.  It works just fine for me, right now.  It will do, and has done, a few projects for me and seems to be a good saw for my level.  There are one or two things that I don't like, but not enough for me to purchase anything else.  If you want to start out with something inexpensive, but will work well, try the saw that I, and others, have.  Don't think that you'll be disappointed.   :)

Les
Reading, PA   ;)

samamish1

« Reply #5 on: December 14, 2013, 04:58:04 pm »
Great--thank you everyone!  This gives me a good place to start.  I suppose where I'm still pretty new, I shouldn't spend too much over $200 or so, so maybe this PorterCable will be the one for me.  The customer reviews from Lowe's made me a little nervous--several people really liked it, but others thought the quality was pretty poor.  I really just need something with enough quality to last some good years and easy blade changes!  That's my main complaint with this old one--it's just far too tricky to change the blades. Oh, and it's almost impossible to get a perfectly vertical cut with no bevel.  That's trouble.  Anyway, thanks again, experts!   

Offline newfie

• The Way I Scroll
    • View Profile
    • some of my woodworking
« Reply #6 on: December 15, 2013, 10:06:21 am »
i had a 16" craftmans saw for years not the greatest saw but got the job done i still use it now from time to time.i did purchase a Excalibur EX-21about year and a half ago and love.

excalibur 21
Every woodworker needs a fireplace

Offline dirtrider73068

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 21, 2013, 10:09:01 pm »
I have tried the skil from lowes lasted 6 projects fell apart, took it back, I got the 16inch craftsman and love it, has done me great, I did tweak to my liking, one thing I would highly suggest if you get the craftsman before even useing, remove the two pivot bolts takes a big allen wrench, put a light coat of bearing grease and put them back in. I didn't do this to mine and almost messed it up, it says you don't have to, but after using it the bearing/bushing started wearing and gumming up making the arms hard to move, ever since it works like butter. Also mount this saw to a good solid stand or make one, put a old thick rug or carpet under it, will help alot with vibration.

SMF

Teknoromi