Author Topic: EX-21 question  (Read 2106 times)

Offline Jim-78028

• View Profile
EX-21 question
« on: March 12, 2016, 06:09:55 pm »
I picked up a used ex-21 yesterday. Finally figured out how to mount the blade.

When I run it, I get a tapping sound, narrowed it down to something called a lower blade guard not bent high enough.  I took the table off and bent it up, but usually when this type thing starts to happen the weak metal will make it droop and it will happen again.

So my question is, is the silly thing necessary?

I can not see where it does much of anything.  In the parts exploded view, Diagram A, Item 83

Thanks
Jim

Offline Wooden Lace

• View Profile
Re: EX-21 question
« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2016, 08:54:16 pm »
Hi, that stupid thing was probably bent down by the previous owner who felt it was just in the way....which it is.  Guess the manufacturer has to put it on to "protect" the user from using common sense and putting their hand under the table with the saw running.  I've always taken mine off, and I suspect I'm not alone.

Enjoy the new toy!
Nancy
Nancy from Washington state
I'd give up chocolate, but I'm no quitter!

Offline Jim-78028

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2016, 07:23:38 am »
Thanks Nancy, I expect, unless I hear a good reason for it being there, I will do the same the next time it starts making noise.

Offline MOONIE

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 14, 2016, 09:53:03 pm »
After setup, the first thing I did is remove the  blade guards from my DeWalt and Excalbur saws.  They're a nuisance and I don't believe their necessary for our kind of scrollers; maybe in an industrial setting. 
MOONIE

Offline Malcolm161

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 19, 2016, 04:10:43 am »
The guards are good for people new to scrolling, as they need to get used to how things work, particularly with the 'hold-down'.  When they then feel confident that they can handle the ups and downs of their work without difficulty, thyen the guards could be removed.

I have not done a lot of scrolling, in fact I have only been woodworking for a couple of years since retiring 5 years ago, however, I have just changed my scrollsaw and bought a new Ex16 and removed the lower guard, which requires the rable being taken off to get at the screws, but not a problem.

Malcolm
UK

SMF

Teknoromi