Author Topic: Lemon oil vs mineral oil  (Read 13454 times)

NJ Phil

Lemon oil vs mineral oil
« on: May 31, 2011, 06:33:32 pm »
What is the advantage/ disadvantage of lemon vs mineral oil?
Thanks,
 Phil

Offline dgman

• View Profile
Re: Lemon oil vs mineral oil
« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2011, 06:51:52 pm »
There is no advantage of lemon oil over mineral oil. they will both bring out the color and grain of the wood. but neither is economical. I use a 50/50 mixture of boiled linseed oil and mineral spirits. I keep it in an old Mason jar. I use an old metal backing pan to soak the project in. After the project is removed and wiped dry, I pour the remainder of the oil back into the jar.
Dan In Southern California

NJ Phil

« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2011, 07:06:52 pm »
Thanks Dan,
 Where do you get boiled linseed oil.
 I've looked in my local Home Depot and an art supply store and neither place had it.
Thanks,
 Phil

SheGold

« Reply #3 on: May 31, 2011, 07:12:34 pm »
Look in painting supplies in either store for boiled linseed.... Hope this helps .. Sheila in Tx

Offline Gabby

• Yer durn tootin'!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 31, 2011, 09:33:14 pm »
My local TruValue has BLO in paint dept I believe the lumber yard does too. Usually if one doesn't have it the other one will.

Mineral oil is inert and will not turn rancid and is recommended for anything that will come in contact with food.
In the old days kids were given a spoon full of MO to aid digestion as a stool softener, so it's safe to consume and what little may be imparted to food from a bowl or cutting board isn't enough to have any effect.
Gabby
« Last Edit: June 01, 2011, 09:39:48 pm by Gabby »
MOLON LABE.
TRUST IN GOD!
 DON'T BELIEVE ALL YOU HEAR & DON'T SAY ALL THAT YOU THINK !

Offline Paw Paw Ray

• View Profile
    • Paw Paws Workshop
« Reply #5 on: June 01, 2011, 07:46:07 am »
Know for a fact, Lowe's carries it, worked in paint dept for 7 1/2 yrs.

Tako Kichi

« Reply #6 on: June 01, 2011, 02:22:47 pm »
Just a word of caution if you are using BLO or straight Linseed Oil. If you use a rag to apply it DO NOT leave it balled up to dry out once you are done. As the oil dries it generates heat and if the rag is in a tight ball the heat can rapidly build until it passes the critical temperature where it can auto-ignite resulting in a ball of fire. Many homes/lives have been lost due to this reaction so don't add to the list!

Oil soaked rags should be spread out flat to dry, preferably on a metal or other non-inflammable surface and then disposed of in a metal container like an old paint can.

I use Lemon Oil on my guitar fingerboards twice a year to 'feed' the wood and to keep the grain closed so that my inlays do not get loose. Lemon Oil does not have the heating problem but I still err on the side of caution and always spread my rags out flat to dry before storing them for their next use.

Offline Gabby

• Yer durn tootin'!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 01, 2011, 09:44:59 pm »
Oily rags should be kept in a tightly sealed metal can. This will deprive any combustibles of oxygen and they will not burn, they might smolder a little but that just uses up the good air.
That is the simplified story, just for Marion  ;D
Gabby
MOLON LABE.
TRUST IN GOD!

marmoh

« Reply #8 on: June 01, 2011, 10:42:23 pm »
 ;D ;D

Offline Gabby

• Yer durn tootin'!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 01, 2011, 10:51:50 pm »
MOLON LABE.
TRUST IN GOD!

Offline Danny

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 02, 2011, 07:05:44 pm »
Yea. yea.... Dispose of highly flamible material properly, but back to the lemon oil verus mineral oil subject.  After using many different colors of good ole stain and having very good success with the out-come suddenly it seems like the OIL products are getting pretty popular.  My question is what is the advantage/disadvantage of using each?  Just a question.  Tks....  Danny  :+}
Danny  :+}

Offline dgman

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 02, 2011, 07:14:16 pm »
Hey Danny, I like to use hardwoods. I like the wood to do the talking rather than stain. The BLO mix I use brings out the color of the wood and pops the grain. It does not add any protection so a topcoat is necessary. Using a stain will give you a color that you want, as opposed to letting the wood do the talking.
As far as using BLO vrs. any other oil, Just a mater of preference.
« Last Edit: June 02, 2011, 07:17:27 pm by dgman »
Dan In Southern California

Offline GrayBeard

• My DW 788 sends you HUGZZZZ from Missouri, USA!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 02, 2011, 11:28:14 pm »
AND....I prefer BLO (50/50) with mineral spirits to make the project look like a WOOD shop project.

~~~GB~~~
I never really wanted to grow up....All I wanted was to be able to reach the cookie jar...and play with my DW 788

chief

« Reply #13 on: June 05, 2011, 12:16:49 am »
I use a mixture of 2 parts BLO, 2 parts Poly, and 1 part mineral spirits.  I initially used this on my shop made jigs for a light protective coat.  It also works pretty good on finished projects that dont require a wear coat because they wont be handled.

ChuckD

« Reply #14 on: June 08, 2011, 12:35:57 am »
To go back to an earlier question. I get both mineral spirits and BLO at Walmart.
I have never tried mixing in Poly with the 50/50.   Got to do that.  Thanks for that tip...

SMF

Teknoromi