Author Topic: Craftsman scroll saw -crazy excessive vibration - help  (Read 13277 times)

berighteous

Craftsman scroll saw -crazy excessive vibration - help
« on: October 09, 2012, 07:05:58 pm »
Hi!
I just got one of those craftsman scroll saws steve showed in his videos.  I was able to cut 1/2" oak as my fist project ok, but the saw vibrates a lot.  I tried some 1/4 alder and it just chewed it up.  The saw was shaking so much I couldn't see the blade (5r) well and It just ate through it at will no matter how much I tried to steer it. the table was shaking and the stuff on it started moving around. I was trying to cut a keyfob for my mother in law - looks like it's been in a road accident. yikes. 

Anybody have any ideas how to cut down on the shaking? I can't bolt it to the table.  I noticed that I can wiggle the bottom blade holder a bit.  Any way to lock that down better?

Thanks

countryscroller

Re: Craftsman scroll saw -crazy excessive vibration - help
« Reply #1 on: October 09, 2012, 07:48:52 pm »
As far as chewing up the wood is your teeth pointing down? And other than that, I fixed the problem by upgrading to a Dewalt.

Offline beginner

• Maker of custom fire wood
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 09, 2012, 08:07:23 pm »
I have the same saw, and had the same problem.  Try adjusting the speed, make sure the blade is going down and BOLT IT DOWN.  That solved my problem
Jim

berighteous

« Reply #3 on: October 09, 2012, 09:45:42 pm »
As far as chewing up the wood is your teeth pointing down? And other than that, I fixed the problem by upgrading to a Dewalt.
Sure spending an extra $600 on a new saw would fix the problem... sheesh.

countryscroller

« Reply #4 on: October 09, 2012, 09:51:35 pm »
Well it works. Trust me I'm not rich, just got lucky enough to get that saw. I started on my grandpa's 16" variable speed craftsman. It was old and didn't have replacement parts anymore. so I had no choice but to get another saw, so I chose a better one than getting one that was not "useless" but not enough for what I was looking for. I didn't mean to brag.

Offline dgman

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 09, 2012, 10:02:42 pm »
The most important factor with the 16" saws is they have to be bolted to a stand. You will either have to buy or build a stand for your saw and bolt it down. Some folks even use sand to weigh down the stand. If you can't bolt it down, you will have to live with the vibration!
Dan In Southern California

berighteous

« Reply #6 on: October 09, 2012, 10:31:09 pm »
What kind of stand would I need?  I don't mind getting a dedicated stand for it.  I dunno what I'm looking for.  The heavy workbench it's currently sitting on is on our back patio, and it's getting cold soon. I'm looking to start scrolling inside when it gets too cold to do it outside.  Are there any adjustments I can make to the machine?

Offline GrayBeard

• My DW 788 sends you HUGZZZZ from Missouri, USA!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 09, 2012, 11:09:54 pm »
Check Rockler.com...they have a general purpose stand kit for about $40...

~~~GB~~~
I never really wanted to grow up....All I wanted was to be able to reach the cookie jar...and play with my DW 788

Offline TheMelster

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 10, 2012, 01:41:51 am »
Go to home, do a search for scroll saw table, should help ya.
GO PACK GO

berighteous

« Reply #9 on: October 10, 2012, 02:18:30 am »
I have a harbor freight around the corner from me.  They have a stand that should work I guess...  I dunno how bolting a shaky saw to a metal stand will do anything but shake the metal stand...

Mainewoods

« Reply #10 on: October 10, 2012, 07:52:23 am »
 One of the main differences between the entry level saws and the more expensive ones is weight.  Simply put, a heavier saw just vibrates less.  My first saw was the Craftsman 16".  I bolted it to a piece of 3/4" plywood, then clamped that to my workbench when I wanted to use the saw.  Still vibrated, but much less than with the saw just sitting on the bench.
  I upgraded from the Craftsman to the Porter Cable.  This saw came with a stand.  Big difference in handling.  However, I wanted to cut down some of the vibration even more, so I laid two 70lb sandbags across the cross-members of the stand.  Worked like a charm, significantly reducing the vibrations.
  I now drive a Delta 40-690, with two sand bags on the cross-member.  Almost no vibrations now.

The part that interests me about your situation, is that you were able to cut before without too much trouble.  Are you sure you had the blade installed correctly, AND properly tensioned.  A saw will vibrate like crazy if you haven't tensioned the blade.  Trust me on that one!  ;)

berighteous

« Reply #11 on: October 10, 2012, 04:00:31 pm »
I was cutting thicker and heavier/harder stock.  I cut a 1/2 inch oak cross and I was able to do ok with it, same blade, same tension, but the 1/4 alder seems so much softer and lighter.  I just made a mess with it.

Offline Merlin

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 10, 2012, 04:25:15 pm »
You mentioned a 5r blade for the the oak, in my book a 5 is ok for 1/2inch oak or whatever, but for 1/4 inch timber/lumber personally I wood use a #2 or 3.   #3 would be my choice.

Living at the bottom of the world I can't help a lot with vibration but as others have said Sand bags and your speed wood be the most obvious answer.

***Merlin***
Try not! Do,
or do not
There is no try

Yoda "Empire Strikes Back" 1980

berighteous

« Reply #13 on: October 10, 2012, 05:54:23 pm »
I appreciate all the advice. I'm really enjoying the forum here.  Lots to learn.  I dunno anything about what blade to use in what wood.  I got a hundred ryobi 5R's from ebay ( I ordered 3 packs and got 9, lol) so I've been playing with those.  The teeth on those are so tiny I need a magnifier to even see them. 

I have too many questions, lol.  Need to start another thread for them.  BTW I get that knocking problem *sometimes* when I turn the tension near all the way up.  Sometimes I don't get any knocking at all, but the vibration seems higher. 

countryscroller

« Reply #14 on: October 10, 2012, 06:41:38 pm »
A tip for the teeth of the blade was stated by Steve," run your finger down it and if it is rough then the teeth are pointing up, if smooth then they are down"   With time you will gain a lot of experience and I wish you the best.

SMF

Teknoromi