Author Topic: New Member - Alva, OK  (Read 2319 times)

Offline kenreich

• View Profile
New Member - Alva, OK
« on: January 06, 2012, 12:15:54 am »
Hello Everyone - I just joined the Scrollsaw Workshop Community forum and figured I needed to introduce myself.  I live in NW Oklahoma - Alva.  I'm a minister of music and enjoy woodworking as a hobby.  We are currently in phase 3 of our house remodel.  We purchased our home in 2009 and totally gutted the bathroom, 2 bedrooms and a closet before we moved in and turned it into a very nice, large bathroom and 1 bedroom and closet.  After we moved in, phase 2 was tearing out the carpet in the kitchen and dining room and installing ceramic tile.  Phase 3 is tearing out built-ins in upstairs bedrooms and totally redoing floor, walls ceiling, lights and ceiling fans.

I've been scroll sawing for 20+ years.  I started out with a very inexpensive Penn State saw, then in the early 90's I upgraded to a variable speed Delta.  It has been a great saw, but I'm ready to step up again to a smoother running, finer cutting saw.  I'm currently comparing the Excalibur and the new Delta/Dewalt saw and would love to hear your experiences and opinions about these 2.  Thanks in advance for any thoughts you might share.

P.S. I have a budget of up to $1K to spend on a scroll saw so if another brand is at the top of your list in that price range, feel free to chime in.  ;-)
« Last Edit: January 06, 2012, 12:57:43 am by kenreich »

CNLNC

Re: New Member - Alva, OK
« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2012, 12:37:51 am »
Welcome Ken, just wanted to say welcome to the forum. Great people here all willing to help, and learn. I'm sure one of the more experienced members will chime in with great advice.

Good luck!

Offline dgman

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2012, 12:38:16 am »
Hey Ken, Welcome to the forum! I'm Dan From Southern California. Come on in and join the fun!
I'm not going to tell you which saw is best. I have a DeWalt 788. It does have its problems, but I'm happy with it.
Glad you found us and feel free to add your distinctiveness to the collective!
Dan In Southern California

Offline wombatie

• Victoria Australia
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 06, 2012, 01:20:13 am »
Hi Ken, welcome to the forum, I'm Marg from Australia.  I have a DeWalt and an Ex21.  Which one do I prefare, at the moment the DeWalt but I'm still getting used to the Ex21.

Marg
MARG

No one notices what I do until I'm not here to do it............

tux_linux

« Reply #4 on: January 06, 2012, 05:24:13 am »
Welcome. Big and small projects, that's what I'm sometimes also into. Well, currently much more small projects on scroll saw base.

Torsten from Munich, Germany

Offline julief

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 06, 2012, 05:45:47 am »
Hi Ken and welcome to the forum.  I'm Julie from Texas.  Glad to have you.  I'm an EX girl through and through.  I have had mine for several years and have no complaints.  Good luck with the remodel.

Offline Keefie

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 06, 2012, 07:42:01 am »
Hi Ken, welcome to the forum, I'm Keith from Cornwall U.K.  I have just upgraded to an EX16 (the smallest one) although I had a vibration problem after 2 weeks with it, the company I purchased it from ( Axminster Power Tools) replaced it with a brand new one and that has been running perfect. I found it an excellent machine to work with.
It's all a case of "Mind over Matter",  The Government don't Mind, and I don't Matter.

Offline Russ C

• Global Moderator
  • Central Florida - USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 06, 2012, 08:07:59 am »
Glad you found us. Hi I'm Russ from Florida. Welcome to the Scrollsaw Forum. Take your shoes off and jump in and get your feet wet. In my opinion the Excalibur and the new Delta/Dewalt saw are all top notch. If you can afford it thought I would go Excalibur Ex-21.  :)
russ@simplywoodencreations.com

Keep The Blade On The Line.

Unknotted

« Reply #8 on: January 06, 2012, 09:06:55 am »
Hi Ken, I'm Brenda from Arizona.  Welcome to the forum.

smitty0312

« Reply #9 on: January 06, 2012, 09:23:49 am »
Hi Ken, Dan from Illinois. Welcome.

Offline beginner

• Maker of custom fire wood
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 06, 2012, 09:38:43 am »
Welcome to the fourm
Jim

Offline Judy Hunter

• The world moves on.
    • View Profile
    • Artistic Sawdust and Other Fun Stuff
« Reply #11 on: January 06, 2012, 10:05:10 am »
Hello from North Dakota. 
I'm from North Dakota

Offline newfie

• The Way I Scroll
    • View Profile
    • some of my woodworking
« Reply #12 on: January 06, 2012, 10:13:18 am »
welcome to the form Ken, i'm Todd from Newfoundland Canada

excalibur 21
Every woodworker needs a fireplace

ChuckD

« Reply #13 on: January 06, 2012, 10:40:52 pm »
Welcome to the forum from Beautiful Southern Oregon;)

Offline GrayBeard

• My DW 788 sends you HUGZZZZ from Missouri, USA!
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 07, 2012, 01:33:32 am »
Welcome from your neighbor to the North!

I'm in St. Peters, MO and I have relatives all over OK particularly in Grove, OKC and Broken Arrow.

I have the DW7888 and am saving my nickels to someday get the EX-21. Delta has served me well but not looking forward to some of the problems others have had

~~~GrayBeard~~~
I never really wanted to grow up....All I wanted was to be able to reach the cookie jar...and play with my DW 788

SMF

Teknoromi