Author Topic: 5 x 5 1/4" birch plywood????  (Read 1283 times)

Offline kenreich

• View Profile
5 x 5 1/4" birch plywood????
« on: December 30, 2012, 11:43:48 pm »
Does anyone have any suggestions about full sheets of 1/4" birch plywood?  Will it stay straight and true in a full sheet?  Would I be better off cutting it into smaller pieces right off the top to keep it flat and free from bowing?

Anybody want to share some experiences?

Thanks,
Ken

Offline Danny

• View Profile
Re: 5 x 5 1/4" birch plywood????
« Reply #1 on: December 31, 2012, 12:10:24 pm »
Hello Ken....  I have cut many projects out of good ole LOWES birch ply and all came
out good.  Not nearly as Quality as using BALTIC BIRCH PLY tho.  The sheets I bought
were 2 ft. by 4 ft. and I can't remember any problems.  I would FOR SURE cut a full
sheet down to smaller usable pieces.  Just my 2 cents....  Danny  :+}
Danny  :+}

old wormy

« Reply #2 on: December 31, 2012, 03:34:07 pm »
I buy my 1/8" bb ply from Sloan's in 12" x 24" sheets and don't see any warpage from this size. I have not tried anything larger but I would also suggest that you cut it into more managible sizes before storing it very long.

Offline Billy in Va

• DONT GROW UP ITS A TRAP!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 31, 2012, 05:54:37 pm »
I too use the birch,oak and other plywood from Lowes and HD. As Danny remarked, not the quality of Baltic Birch  but very useable. The store nearest me now has a ply called blonde wood. It is a white wood similar to white poplar. The will cut if for you. I usually have mine cut into 2' X 4' pieces. Its cheaper to buy the whole sheet and have it cut for free. They make two cuts for no charge so I have them cut the sheet in half, stack the two halves and cut them in half. Done!
Common Sense is a flower that does not grow in everyone's garden
Scrollin' - Scrollin' Scrollin' on the River

SMF

Teknoromi