Author Topic: Wood Choice Question  (Read 1814 times)

Offline kenreich

• View Profile
Wood Choice Question
« on: December 05, 2012, 04:49:35 pm »
What is your choice of wood for most of the projects you create?  When it calls for 1/2", 1/4" or 1/8" wood for instance?  Most of the work I've done is out of 3/4" pine or 1/4" oak or mahogany plywood.  Just curious what longtimers have found to work best.

Thanks,
Ken

Offline Toneman

• View Profile
    • TLC Miniature Horse Farm
Re: Wood Choice Question
« Reply #1 on: December 05, 2012, 05:41:41 pm »
Ken, I use 1/8", 1/4" and 1/2" Baltic Birch plywood and I order it from Ocooch and pay shipping. I just cannot find decent wood at local hardware and lumber stores. The plywood is stronger and will not splinter like pine and it is easier to cut. I have found the poplar and pine tends to break when cutting small fret patterns

Tony,aka,Toneman

Offline Rapid Roger

• Hutchinson, Kansas
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 05, 2012, 06:59:48 pm »
That is kind of a loaded question. It all depends on what your making, what is your favorite wood, and experience will help more than anything.
I have made things out of 1/8" plywood, 1/4 & 1/2 cherry and purple heart even 1-1/2 walnut.
There are just so many things that can be done on a scroll saw that the sky is the limit. You won't have an answer to that question until you try it twice.  ;D

Rog
An ounce of responsablity is worth 10 pounds of state and fedral laws.

Becky

« Reply #3 on: December 05, 2012, 09:31:40 pm »
I'm not a big fan of plywood because you can see the layers on the edges.  I have dabbled with a number of exotic woods but that can get expensive.  I am at the point where I make most of my projects out of poplar, maple, cherry and walnut.  They look good and they are less expensive.  I've tried oak too but it is a bit harder to cut because of the blade wanting to follow the grain.  Oh, and I will use chunks of pine now and then when that makes sense (it doesn't look quite as nice, IMO, but is fine for things like word art).

Offline troy_curtis

• No matter where you go...there you are.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 06, 2012, 12:45:14 am »
For half in wood, I dont like the Baltic Birch Ply, so I go for the soft maple. I can buy soft maple 1/2 in for about $4 a board foot. It looks nice and cost is decent. For thinner projects I use the BB. I also love to use the Tropical Walnut for backing if I need a good contrast. If it is a less expensive project I will use the BB stained dark or painted black.

Offline jrpeteo

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 06, 2012, 06:31:21 pm »
For making portrait type things, you can't beat 1/8" Baltic Birch, stack cut. Dollar store frame.
Pete
Suppose you were an idiot. And suppose you were a member of Congress. But I repeat myself.
- Mark Twain

Offline Billy in Va

• DONT GROW UP ITS A TRAP!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 06, 2012, 09:39:26 pm »
Pete

I agree, except for the dollar store frames,  They are too expensive  I find mine at yard sales.  Usually talk the down to a nickle.
Common Sense is a flower that does not grow in everyone's garden
Scrollin' - Scrollin' Scrollin' on the River

Dave W

« Reply #7 on: December 07, 2012, 01:15:47 pm »
Probably my all 'round favorite is Poplar.  It is consistent, and I can get it most anywhere (i.e. HD and Lowes).  The aforementioned stores even have it in convenient selections of 1/4", which is the vast majority of what I use in projects.  The color can be a bit inconsistant at times, but when you get a pure piece, I think it is very beautiful.  I am even tunrning poplar pens now and love the way they look.

For thicker stuff, I really enjoy working with walnut, ash, and especially cherry. 

SMF

Teknoromi