Author Topic: Valentine’s Baskets  (Read 921 times)

Offline Crazeedayz

• View Profile
Valentine’s Baskets
« on: February 15, 2021, 05:08:26 pm »
Steve,

In your recent blog, you had 2 baskets ( a small and large one) which was suggested as a Valentine’s gift. In the picture, it looked like you used walnut for the sides and maybe maple for the handle. Or, did you use Baltic birch and staying the parts.

Your response is greatly appreciated.  Thanks!!

Doug

Offline don in brooklin on

• View Profile
Re: Valentine’s Baskets
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2021, 03:49:49 am »
Steve rarely comes here so this are my thoughts.

In the picture with the write up it looks like walnut and maple.  You could use any wood and it would look great.  Contrasting looks nice but not it would look okay in all one wood too.

Using Baltic Birch would be possible but I have a lot of issues trying to stain plywood as the edges sucks up the stain differently.

I am in the process of cutting 40 of Steve's Wobble Bowl in BB and I tried to stain a maple colour and looked awful. We are going to just leave a plain. 

Below are the 2 prototypes one in real maple and the other in BB.  The boss (my daughter) went with BB as the cost is 30 cents versus $1.50 - 2.00  for material.  ( I pay for the BB but she would have to pay the maple).

PS:  If you use BB the 1/2 inch BB is usually 12mm which is slightly shy of 1/2. and so you would have to adjust the slot.  Same if do using 1/4.

Offline Crazeedayz

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2021, 10:47:34 am »
Don, thanks much for your reply and your suggestions. The basket I was referring to came from Steve’s blog of 1/15/21. Pic attached. Hence, the reason for my question. Thanks, again.  Doug

Offline don in brooklin on

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2021, 01:09:23 pm »
Yep.  I saw that and I am quite sure that is walnut and maple.

Offline Crazeedayz

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 16, 2021, 01:34:12 pm »
Thanks!!!

SMF

Teknoromi