Author Topic: Compound cutting  (Read 805 times)

Offline Excaliburman

• View Profile
Compound cutting
« on: January 29, 2021, 09:12:48 am »
When I cut a circle in a 1 1/4 inch thick blank, the cutout plug is wider on the bottom than on the top. I have double checked that my blade is square to my table and yet it is still a problem. Any advise would be greatly appreciated.
   Thank You
       David

Offline ALG

• View Profile
Re: Compound cutting
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2021, 03:01:56 pm »
Cut slower. You maybe bending the blade.

Offline KCSteve

• View Profile
Re: Compound cutting
« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2021, 05:22:43 pm »
Yep, if it's square under no pressure (make a cut, flip the wood, see if the blade fits the cut) then you have to be pushing to the side when cutting which is usually from trying to go to fast.

Also check your blade tension.  I keep tattling on myself on how it took me six months to figure out how to set the tension on my Jet.  Turns out that on the Jet the big knob at the back is not how you set the tension.  It's for getting the arms parallel which does have a crude effect on the tension but the way you actually set it is by turning the lever for the top blade clamp.  With a standard #5 blade you shouldn't be able to push it more than about 1/8" to the side when tensioned.  Steve has a little thing on the blog that gives you the sound of a properly tensioned blade being plucked.

Enjoy!

KCSteve :->

SMF

Teknoromi