Author Topic: Not much scrolling  (Read 1549 times)

Offline Rapid Roger

• Hutchinson, Kansas
    • View Profile
Not much scrolling
« on: July 04, 2010, 02:56:02 pm »
There is not much scrollsawing here but, thought you might like to see another of my crazy ideas.
It is solid oak with polyurethane finish. I cut it about two years ago.

Most of it was cut on the table saw except for the buckle of course. Yes, I have worn it but, it is not very comfey.
It is all wood, no metal in it, the sections are hinged with pieces of  oak dowel rod.
Guess I'm just wierd because nothing seem worth while unless I think outside the lines.  :D

Rog
An ounce of responsablity is worth 10 pounds of state and fedral laws.

northie66

Re: Not much scrolling
« Reply #1 on: July 04, 2010, 04:14:42 pm »
I think it's cool :)  You're like me... I like to make weird stuff too :)

Offline dgman

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 04, 2010, 06:19:58 pm »
Hey Roger, I like it! Nothing wrong with weird. Thats what makes the world go round!
Dan In Southern California

Offline MadHatter

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 04, 2010, 11:20:15 pm »
thats pretty cool, great idea !!!

Dawie

« Reply #4 on: July 05, 2010, 02:53:35 am »
Keep your weird ideas coming I like them. At least you are not boring. Thinking of it haven't come across any boring people here.
David

sp_343

« Reply #5 on: July 05, 2010, 10:56:36 am »
I LOVE IT!!  I would wear that all the time if I cut something like that...awesome job...would you be willing to sell a copy of that pattern??

Thanks for the pics...great idea!

Offline Rapid Roger

• Hutchinson, Kansas
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 05, 2010, 11:58:24 am »
sp_343,
I would GIVE you a pattern but, I don't have one!!! It is all in my head.
I made one out of pine first and it was trial and error all the way.
I can't even write the directions and steps on this fourm because of length of telling would be too great.
I started with a strip of 1/4" x 1-1/4" about 60" long and cut it into 1-1/4" pieces. I stacked the pieces together and taped them into one piece 1-1/4"x 1-1/4"x however long.  Then, being careful to drill 1/8" holes in each piece along the edges using a drill press. Stop short of going all the way through by about 1/16" Then using a dado blade and the fence, I notched two corners of the block on one side and cut a grove through the center of the block to match the other side so that they fit together. Toung and groove style.(Are you following me?)
Then cut 1/8" dowel into pieces about 1-3/16 long to act as hinge pins. It is a bit of fuss and fit to get them to aling and flex but it can be done. After hinging put a drop of glue on the open end of the hinge pin to hold it in place.
The buckle is in two pieces. The front (with the scrolling) and the blank back with hinge ears and a hole for the clasp dowel. You need to cut or sand the buckle into a curve to fit your waist of course.
Told you it was a long story!  GOOD LUCK!  ;D
If you need more help, just ask.

Rog
An ounce of responsablity is worth 10 pounds of state and fedral laws.

ufgator

« Reply #7 on: July 05, 2010, 12:41:52 pm »
I like that!  Great imagination. 

Happy Scrolling
     Bill

Offline jimbo

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 05, 2010, 06:33:18 pm »
What a great talking point that would be at fair, you would have your tables crowded all day
Great work
Jimbo

sp_343

« Reply #9 on: July 05, 2010, 07:21:50 pm »
Thanks for the help Rog.  It is one of the coolest things I have ever seen made on the ole Scroll Saw or in any form of woodworking....but maybe I will just stick to my belt that I bought at Wal*Mart!

I will keep your instructions...I would like to try it sometime...

Thanks again!

SMF

Teknoromi