Author Topic: Font viewer  (Read 1829 times)

Offline don in brooklin on

• View Profile
Font viewer
« on: August 15, 2014, 08:59:33 am »
I just got the new font viewer from Steve and it is cool.

I design in Inkscape and this will make it easier to view text.  It is clunky and I pinned this to my task bar so it is right there.

QUESTION.

Does any one know of a font viewer that will give me all 256 representation of a font?  I had one but lost it when I changed computers and forgot to bring forward.  This is especially helpful with decorative fonts where the F might be the Christmas tree.

Thanks

Don

Offline Russ C

• Global Moderator
  • Central Florida - USA
    • View Profile
Re: Font viewer
« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2014, 08:25:39 am »
Fonts are installed on your computer  for all programs to use, i.g. Word, Inkscape, Corel Draw, Publisher, and any other programs that uses typed fonts.

Steve's font view and I quote, "When the program loads it loads all your installed fonts in the list"  So you wouldn't need another font viewer unless you don't like Steve's. If it is not in the font list, it is not on your computer.

So when you said  "I had one but lost it when I changed computers and forgot to bring forward", you not only lost the other font viewer, you lost all the fonts to. That is unless you have access to your old computer and know how to transfer them to the new one.

If not, you will have to download the fonts individually that you want to use to your new computer and there are a lot more than 256 out there.

Once you download and install them, they will show up in Steve's font viewer.  8)

P.S. I downloaded and installed Steve's Font Viewer as a test. It picked up all 867 fonts I have on my computer.  8)
« Last Edit: August 16, 2014, 08:38:52 am by Russ C »
russ@simplywoodencreations.com

Keep The Blade On The Line.

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 16, 2014, 08:42:20 am »
Thanks Russ

That's not quite the problem.  I guess I said it wrong.

I have lots and lots of fonts.

Each font has 256 character possibilities.   I would like to be able to know on a decorative font or wingdings if I type an A what character I get without hunting and pecking.  The font viewer I had showed all the values in matrix so in the could look at and find the character I wanted.

Thanks again I still keep on looking.

don

Offline Russ C

• Global Moderator
  • Central Florida - USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 16, 2014, 09:45:41 am »
Ok, I think I understand now. What you are looking for is a viewer for the ASCII codes represent text in computers for the numbers, letters, punctuation symbols on your computer. Hmmmm, I know I have seen them for Mac but I am not familiar of one for Windows based computers.  :)

I will look around, if you find one first let me know. I would like to see it.  ;)
russ@simplywoodencreations.com

Keep The Blade On The Line.

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 19, 2014, 03:50:50 am »
I found what I was looking for right in Windows.

I am using Win 8.1.  Went to the search and typed character map.

I then pinned to task bar (you could create short cut too).  So when I am hunting for a character in a wing ding or decorative font it is right there.

Robert H. Bigart

« Reply #5 on: September 26, 2014, 02:25:12 pm »
I use primarily FONT Xplorer  (the free version) and an a real old X-Fonter (free version) software and I have tried them all,and I like free programs. I am cheap.

Bob

SMF

Teknoromi