Author Topic: Connection reset???  (Read 1665 times)

Offline jscott2

• View Profile
Connection reset???
« on: January 24, 2014, 04:36:57 pm »
While I am going from page to page on this forum, I regularly get a "blank" screen with a message saying the connection was reset.  Once in a long while I get the same thing with other sites, on this site it seems to happen 5 to 15 times a day. 

Clicking the "reset" (or is it Retry?) on the blank page usually gets me to the page I was going to but sometimes I have to click Reset/Retry two or three times.

I'm running Windows 7 Pro with 16G RAM on an i3770 CPU (a new, well equipped system) and the latest Firefox.  Windows is up to date. 

Is anyone else having this problem?  On the assumption the problem is on my end, I have looked through the internet but haven't found much help.

Has anyone here had the same problem and did you find a solution?

Thanks for any help.
Jim
Using a Delta 40-690 in the Montreal, Quebec (Canada) area

Offline EIEIO

• Be Prepared.
    • View Profile
    • RMHayes, LLC
Re: Connection reset???
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2014, 05:05:46 pm »
Jim - if you do a search, there are postings about this problem in FireFox going back to 2010. A number of suggestions were posted but I have not seen any that sound like they satisfied the writer.
https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/questions/767877

Here's one from Mozilla support that plays with the cache to fix it, but I'd think that might screw up again in time.
https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/kb/websites-dont-load-troubleshoot-and-fix-errors?redirectlocale=en-US&redirectslug=Error+loading+web+sites#w_interrupted-or-reset-connection

I have a 5-year-old WinXP and a few years younger Win7 using Chrome for the browser on both and have never seen that message. I hit the scroll saw community page several times per day and have no problem. You might try a different browser - sounds like the issue is internal to FF.
EX-21 arrived 2-1-2013!
Porter-Cable PCB370SS in the corner
Lancaster Ohio
Ray Hayes - RMHayes@RMHayes.US
www.RMHayes.US

Offline jscott2

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2014, 05:38:30 pm »
EIEIO, thanks for those links.  I had read the "delete history and cookies" but hated the thought of re-entering all my user names and passwords.  I was also suspicious when Mozilla wants to delete all history and cookies if the problem was only with one site. 

I just deleted all cookies with the heading "steve" (for stevegood) so we'll see how that works.

Thanks for the suggestions and I'll report back in a few days.
Jim

Offline jscott2

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 28, 2014, 09:02:19 am »
Update: as I mentioned, I deleted all "stevegood"cookies and of course had to fill out the user name and password.  For a few days, I didn't have any "resets" but they are starting to happen again.  Deleting cookies seems to work but doesn't seem to be a good solution.  If I deleted all cookies every few days, I'd be having to log in to a whole bunch of sites - a pain in the _____.

Hope Google finds a solution.

Have a good day,
Jim

Offline EIEIO

• Be Prepared.
    • View Profile
    • RMHayes, LLC
« Reply #4 on: January 28, 2014, 09:31:17 am »
i think the problem is FireFox rather than Google. Chrome (Google's browser) does not have the problem (at least I have not seen it).
EX-21 arrived 2-1-2013!
Porter-Cable PCB370SS in the corner
Lancaster Ohio
Ray Hayes - RMHayes@RMHayes.US
www.RMHayes.US

Malistar22

« Reply #5 on: January 28, 2014, 09:59:42 am »
I would have suggested EIEIO's idea too at first, so I didn't respond to this, but now I'd like to add that I use the latest version of Firefox as well to view these forums and have never had the problem you are describing. If it's a problem with Firefox, then it's because you most likely use an add-on I do not and that add-on may be messing with the forum code that runs in the background.

I'm guessing when you mention " I regularly get a "blank" screen with a message saying the connection was reset", that is a generic error screen.

So on a hunch, can you do me a favor and tell me what extensions are installed in Firefox? You can find them by clicking the Orange Firefox button in the top left and choosing 'Add-Ons'. That will open another tab. On that tab, select Extensions. Also can you jot down and let us know what User Scripts (if any) are installed? Lastly, while on that tab, I'd go through the plugins and look for anything 'out of the ordinary'.

Other than Firefox being the culprit, it wouldn't be the first time I saw a firewall/internet security program such as Norton, Mcafee, or AVG  blocking certain websites.

Offline jscott2

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 28, 2014, 04:45:12 pm »
EIEIO - of course you are right - Firefox has to find a solution.

Malistar, didn't think that it might be an extension.  Here's my list:

Extensions:
- Better Privacy
- Ghostery
- WOT (Web of Trust) - it ranks search results based on suitability for kids and overall trustworthyness - if there is such a word.

Plug-ins:
- Google update
- Intel Identity Protection (2 instances)
- NVIDIA 3D Vision (2 instances)
- PDF-Xchange Viewer
- Shockwave Flash
- Silverlight
- Winamp Application Detector

What I call a "blank" screen has only a box (window) with the error message that the connection was reset and it also suggests the site might be busy.  The background is beige.

I could try disabling the Add-ons one at a time but the "reset" is intermittent.  One session will work just fine while another session has quite a few "resets".

Thanks for your interest and I'll be interested in your (or anyones) thoughts on the problem.
Jim

SMF

Teknoromi