Author Topic: Excalibur , Dewalt or Delta ?  (Read 2958 times)

Offline puzzleguy

• View Profile
Excalibur , Dewalt or Delta ?
« on: June 15, 2014, 05:15:28 pm »
OK - Im thinking about a back up saw -do alot of cutting and im trying to get some opinions
as to which would suit me better - ive heard some horror stories about the old Delta ( delta not making or suppling parts for the older model -worried about the new )
and I also know all three are simalar , and all three come from Taiwan ( at least i think they do -wasnt Excalibur a Canadian company ? )
which would be a better choice -curious about customer support , parts and warranty -- alot of companies out their dont know what that means.
would i pay more for the excalibur -yes if its twice the saw .
looking for dependability, and durability as well .

Thoughts ?
by the way -Happy Fathers Day !

-----------------------------

Offline tbolt

• View Profile
Re: Excalibur , Dewalt or Delta ?
« Reply #1 on: June 15, 2014, 05:21:21 pm »
Look for a good used dewalt type 1 if you buy New I love my hawk just my 2 cents

pddesertrat

« Reply #2 on: June 15, 2014, 05:33:28 pm »
Well of the three you mentioned, and I had the money, I would buy the Excalibur!  I own a DeWalt. but what I have see/read about the Excalibur, I think it is a cut above the rest you mentioned.  I haven't been a member real long here, but I haven't read anything about the Hawk.  This surprises me, because I always thought it was the ultimate.  I see them advertised often in my part of the country for $500 or less.  I passed one up last summer, like new, the bigger one for $300.  Guy had inherited it from a Grandfather that died shortly after buying it.  But a friend bought it and is really enjoying it.

Offline julief

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 16, 2014, 09:32:53 am »
Just my 2 cents but my EX21 is over 12 years old and has had so few problems they are not worth mentioning.  I used to cut all day, every day.  The customer service you receive with an Excalibur is above and beyond what you will get with any other brand.  I bought mine used and still received top service and advise from Ray at Seyco.  As far as better...I think so, but there are die hard Dewalt fans out there.  I see a lot of Dewalt users that have converted to Excalibur and cannot say enough good about it.  My favorite feature is the fact that the head tilts - not the table.  When cutting inlays or bevels, it is so nice to still have your work on a level surface.  When this forum started, there were only a few of us EX users and now there are a great deal of them, including Steve Good.  The only difference between the Delta and the Dewalt on the market today is the paint job and the price.

Offline dirtrider73068

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 22, 2014, 09:59:32 pm »
Excalibur hands down to me, I had a craftsman last me about a year then the arm bushings gave out, it might work for a cheap back up but not for constant use, I have also read the newer dewalts have alot of issues, unless you find a good used type 1 but those are hard ot come by.

Offline BilltheDiver

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 23, 2014, 12:21:17 am »
Never had an Excalibur,, but I have had 2 diifferent models of Hawk and I havent met anyone that doesn't love them.  Be patient and you can find them on Cl at advantageous prices.  Parts are available, and they are in production again.
"Measure twice, cut once, count fingers"

Offline Jim Finn

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 24, 2014, 06:17:22 pm »
Get a Hegner
20"Hegner Polymax-3 (2008)
25"Hegner Multimax-3 (1986)

No PHD, just a  DD 214

Offline spiderman

• Spiderman
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 25, 2014, 07:44:07 am »
OK - Im thinking about a back up saw -do alot of cutting and im trying to get some opinions
as to which would suit me better - ive heard some horror stories about the old Delta ( delta not making or suppling parts for the older model -worried about the new )
and I also know all three are simalar , and all three come from Taiwan ( at least i think they do -wasnt Excalibur a Canadian company ? )
which would be a better choice -curious about customer support , parts and warranty -- alot of companies out their dont know what that means.
would i pay more for the excalibur -yes if its twice the saw .
looking for dependability, and durability as well .

Thoughts ?
by the way -Happy Fathers Day !

-----------------------------

Heck get one of each of them 1 excalibur  one dewalt and one delta and one hanger. 
SPIDERMAN THE KING OF THE WEB

Offline Reaper

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 25, 2014, 09:01:29 pm »
I agree with Jim. Get a Hegner. If the price of a new one is to expensive, find a used one. The saws are made very well and their sales help is great.....Dave

Offline puzzleguy

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 14, 2014, 04:18:09 pm »
thanks for all your help and guidance !
much appreciated.

I have owned a few of the saws you guys mentioned , kinda looking for a saw that can cut detail with a #3 blade
without constantly breaking . though it was just me
but its not - so far id say Excalibur --honestly , id be alot happier if it wasnt made in China ( bring it back to Canada -please !)

SMF

Teknoromi