Author Topic: Steve's email today about selling  (Read 1741 times)

Offline Judy Hunter

• The world moves on.
    • View Profile
    • Artistic Sawdust and Other Fun Stuff
Steve's email today about selling
« on: January 25, 2019, 11:13:27 am »
My son and I do three show a year and do quite well. I suppose "do well" is relative to what your opinion of that statement is. Telling tales here: We average just about $2,000. per show.  We mostly use Baltic Birch.  Rather than buy it in small pieces from on line dealers, we checked out our local lumber yards and found those that are willing to get it for us. We get about 5 to 10 sheets at a time as they come in 5ft x5ft sheets. That does a lot of pieces. We usually pay from $15.00 to $20.00 per sheet. Hope this helps :)
I'm from North Dakota

Offline Norm Fengstad

• View Profile
Re: Steve's email today about selling
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2019, 12:07:50 pm »
I use Baltic birch as well 1/8 thick sell for around 20.00 at the local lumber yard in5x5 sheets I can usually lumber yard cut it i9n half for no charge to transport it easier to cut it smaller they will charge a very low fee. 1/2 inch and 3/4 inch Baltic birch makes excellent animal puzzles and sells up to $70.00 around for 5x5 sheet and I get about 80 puzzles,

Offline rfielder

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2019, 07:53:06 am »
We mostly use Baltic Birch.
Judy:

I don't mean to ask you to give up any of your trade secrets, but I am curious - how do you finish the BB?

Thanks!
Brampton, Ontario, Canada

Offline Judy Hunter

• The world moves on.
    • View Profile
    • Artistic Sawdust and Other Fun Stuff
« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2019, 11:27:31 am »
 ;) no problem with questions...anytime.
I cut blanks for the project, then lightly sand both sides with 220 grit on orbital sander.
Wipe with tack cloth to get rid of any dust. cut and apply con-tac paper (shelf liner Wal-Mart)
Spray the back of my paper pattern with spray adhesive and apply it to the contact paper.
Drill the interior cuts and then again lightly sand the back to get rid of any bumps from the drilling.
Put on my head phones and listen to a good book while I do all the cutting.
I use a mop sander to get rid of any fuzzies and sharp edges.
I dip it in MinWax stain, wipe it down very well. I use an air compressor to get the stain from everywhere.
I let it dry over night then spray with a clear Krylon Gloss finish (Wal-Mart). Let it dry for a few days ,
Gently and quickly wipe it down with paper to give it a very smooth finish.
Then I hang a price tag on it and tell myself, "Yep, that will sell". 
I'm from North Dakota

Offline rfielder

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 27, 2019, 10:28:40 am »
;) no problem with questions...anytime.
Thanks!  Much appreciated.
Brampton, Ontario, Canada

SMF

Teknoromi