Author Topic: Please forgive me!  (Read 1770 times)

Offline wombatie

• Victoria Australia
    • View Profile
Please forgive me!
« on: March 06, 2014, 11:01:07 pm »
I don't want to offend any one with this question but I have never thought about it before.  I have always thought the The US Marines and the US Navy were linked somehow.  :-[ Could someone tell me the difference between the 2 please? ???

Marg
MARG

No one notices what I do until I'm not here to do it............

Offline jrpeteo

• View Profile
Re: Please forgive me!
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2014, 12:44:13 am »
From about.com

Marine Corps. The Marines are often referred to as the "Infantry of the Navy." Marines specialize in amphibious operations. In other words, their primary specialty is to assault, capture, and control "beach heads," which then provide a route to attack the enemy from almost any direction. The Marines were officially established on 10 November 1775 by the Continental Congress, to act as a landing force for the United States Navy. In 1798, however, Congress established the Marine Corps as a separate service. While amphibious operations are their primary specialty, in recent years, the Marines have expanded other ground-combat operations, as well. The Marines are generally a "lighter" force when compared to the Army, so they can generally be deployed fast (although the Army has been making great strides in "rapid deployment" in the past few years). For combat operations, the Marines like to be self-sufficient, as much as possible, so they also have their own air power, consisting primarily of fighter and fighter/bomber aircraft and attack helicopters. Even so, the Marines use the Navy for much of their logistical and administrative support. For example, there are no doctors, nurses, or enlisted medics in the Marine Corps. Even medics that accompany the Marines into combat are specially-trained Navy medics. With the exception of the Coast Guard, the Marines are also the smallest service. There are approximately 18,000 officers and 153,000 enlisted personnel on active duty in the Marines.

Pete
Suppose you were an idiot. And suppose you were a member of Congress. But I repeat myself.
- Mark Twain

Offline Kepy

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2014, 08:52:16 am »
Very well said Pete.  As a Navy vet, I might have put it differently but you said it diplomatically.

Offline mickey357

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2014, 10:54:43 am »
Could not have said it better. I'm a ex- Navy corpsman, spent some time with the Marines on a special surgery team. Never was I treated better then the time I spent with those young  Marines. They would give me a hard time one minute , but let some outsider try and they were all over them. It was like having a lot of big brothers. Very Proud to have stood beside them.

sullycroller

« Reply #4 on: March 07, 2014, 06:31:57 pm »
Well said Pete. I was a Seabee in the Navy and our military training was by Marines so we had the best of both branches. Served on Okinawa with the Marines and them "jar heads" were the best of friends i had besides my fellow Seabee's.

sully 

Offline wombatie

• Victoria Australia
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 08, 2014, 03:51:04 am »
Thank you, now I sort of understand.   They stand alone but they use the Navy when they need to and also the Army when they need to. Did I get that right?

Marg
MARG

Offline Marcellarius

• Scrolling each day, keeps the doctor away
    • View Profile
    • Some of my work
« Reply #6 on: March 08, 2014, 04:09:22 am »
thanks for your question Marg and you Pete for explaining.
learned some today!
Marcel

sometimes I make designer firewood....

Offline GrayBeard

• My DW 788 sends you HUGZZZZ from Missouri, USA!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 08, 2014, 08:20:26 pm »
We sometimes think of the Navy & Marines as 'brothers' in a family.
They may pester, aggravate and fight like hell between themselves but God help any who attack one while the other is around! Then you have the force of both brothers in your face and they will whip your butt!
I have one grandson who is a Navy Pilot (lieutenant commander) and another who is a Marine Lance Corporal. One officer and one 'grunt' and they are like two peas in the same pod and would literally kill for each other. When the Marine was scheduled to 'graduate' from basic training the Pilot told his commander "I will be at my cousin's graduation!" The commander asked the date and location and then arranged for the pilot to have a plane at his disposal to be there. Of course it was a scheduled 'training exercise'
That is how close the Navy & Marines are.

~~~GB~~~
I never really wanted to grow up....All I wanted was to be able to reach the cookie jar...and play with my DW 788

Shogun

« Reply #8 on: March 09, 2014, 10:34:35 am »
Pete, I am a former Marine and couldn't have said it better myself. But I would add this...If you ask a Marine how the Corps became a Dept. of the Navy he will tell you this...after the revolution war the idea of disbanding the Marines was being discussed because all that was left was a few Marines and a hand full of mules. The Army and Navy where arguing about this and decided to flip a coin....the Army won the toss so they got the mules. (couldn't pass up the opportunity to share that joke)

Offline Gabby

• Yer durn tootin'!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 10, 2014, 11:53:18 pm »
MOLON LABE.
TRUST IN GOD!
 DON'T BELIEVE ALL YOU HEAR & DON'T SAY ALL THAT YOU THINK !

Offline wombatie

• Victoria Australia
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 11, 2014, 05:33:53 am »
Thanks guys I appreciate all of your answers and now I know the difference.  I am glad I took the trouble to ask.

Marg
MARG

SMF

Teknoromi