Author Topic: Hello all!!  (Read 1771 times)

Offline jonwjones

• View Profile
Hello all!!
« on: February 11, 2019, 01:50:56 pm »
Hello everyone!! Just found this place the other day. I’ve been really looking in to learning about scrolling. Trying to learn as much as I can before I actually get a saw. Been pricing and looking at different ones. Does anyone have any input about the Central Machinery 16” from Harbor Freight? I looked at all the reviews on it and most were really good, but I wanted to ask here.
Thanks a bunch!!

https://m.harborfreight.com/16-in-variable-speed-scroll-saw-62519.html

Offline KarlB

• Naples, Florida
    • View Profile
Re: Hello all!!
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2019, 06:28:23 pm »
Hello Jon.

That saw would be on the bottom for scroll saws.  It will cut and it "may"be a saw to start on, but if you can afford it - I would suggest stepping up to a better quality saw.  Especially one that doesn't use pin-end blades.

If you do get the saw, consider buying this switch as well:

https://www.harborfreight.com/momentary-power-foot-switch-96619.html

You can use it on any future saws as well.

Take a look at Craigslist in your area and see if someone is selling a saw.  I got my first DeWalt saw that way.  (I think it was $250.)

By the way - welcome to the forum.

Karl
« Last Edit: February 11, 2019, 11:05:40 pm by KarlB »

Offline spirithorse

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2019, 07:06:13 pm »
Welcome to the forum, Jon,
As Karl already mentioned, a better saw that will use plain end blades would be a better choice.
I'm probably one of the very few that started with a Harbor Freight saw and will admit it but, I used
a blade adapter like this  which was a pain in the butt because you had to use two allen wrenches to

change blades. You can see the diffference between plain end blades and pin end blades here

https://www.sears.com/craftsman-pin-end-scroll-saw-blade-assortment-pack-repl/p-00929448000P?sid=IDx20141028xBingPLA&msclkid=bf8e1f02c072157e24894360c949baf8&sid=IDx20141028xBingPLAx272405771&utm_campaign=&utm_group=1198468097312520-{creative}&utm_term=pla-4578503882132801#Imagezoom

http://www.scrollsawbladespatterns.com/flyingdutchmanscrollsawblades.htm

If you use a less expensive saw, I would definitely recommend a blade adapter to make it a little easier.

Good luck with your new hobby. It is extremely addictive and you can get lots of help and lots of patterns on this forum.
God Bless! Spirithorse

Offline jonwjones

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2019, 10:35:10 am »
Thank you for your help. I will definitely look into a better saw. Right now just gaining knowledge and comparing everything.

Offline Toneman

• View Profile
    • TLC Miniature Horse Farm
« Reply #4 on: February 15, 2019, 05:15:21 pm »
Welcome to the forum! I agree with the others, buy a better saw if you possibly can. Also, buy good blades; I started out with a good saw but cheap blades and might as well had a cheaper saw. Believe me , good blades are  a must if you plan on scrolling much.

Offline bobadkinsfoto

• I cut it off twice, and it's still too short !
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 16, 2019, 12:55:20 am »
Hi,
I had a Central Machinery saw for two or three years.  It worked surprisingly well, especially for the money involved.  However, using only pin-end blades is quite limiting.  You can purchase 3rd party "kits" that will allow you to use pinless blades, but they are relatively expensive, and you still end up with a Central Machinery scrollsaw.  I gave mine away, and moved up to a Porter-Cable scrollsaw (Lowes), which was still under $300.  It's been much more satisfactory, but in all honesty I have to admit that I'm saving my shekels for a DeWalt 788 or a Delta 40-690. 

Offline Judy Hunter

• The world moves on.
    • View Profile
    • Artistic Sawdust and Other Fun Stuff
« Reply #6 on: February 16, 2019, 11:27:22 am »
Hello from North Dakota :D Welcome to the form.  I agree with every one else. Get a better saw if you can.   DeWalt 788 is what I have used for years even after trying some of the more expensive ones. Around $450 on amazon.
I'm from North Dakota

SMF

Teknoromi