Author Topic: Older newbie from Southeast Alaska  (Read 1803 times)

Offline bobadkinsfoto

• I cut it off twice, and it's still too short !
    • View Profile
Older newbie from Southeast Alaska
« on: January 02, 2019, 03:13:35 pm »
Greetings from Haines, Alaska.  Last spring I bought the last Porter-Cable Scroll Saw that our "local" (750 miles away) Lowe's had in stock.  I modified it, following the directions in Scroll Saw Woodworking magazine, and now I'm trying to make things.  First I made some coasters, which you do NOT want to see.  Then I made a couple of signs, which didn't turn out too badly, and next a couple of napkin holders, which are almost acceptable.  The problem is that I keep getting faulty patterns.  I get the pattern fixed firmly on my piece of wood, but the lines still keep jumping away from the saw blade ... must be leprechauns or something.   >:(  There are no other scroll sawers in my isolated little town, so hopefully I can pick up some hints and tips here on the Forum.

Offline Norm Fengstad

• View Profile
Re: Older newbie from Southeast Alaska
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2019, 08:11:35 am »
Pattern separation is an ongoing problem, I find the need to ensure wood is clean of any dust before applying pattern, I often use blue painters tape, good quality packers tape or a cheap shelf liner I buy from walmart at 8 bucks a roll here in Canada I  Apply it first to help prevent burning, I found a good spray glue, brand 777 something works best for me spray, the pattern, let it sit for a moment before applying. enevitably lift does occur, then a strip scotch tape helps to hold it down.

My wife and I toured through Yukon and into Haines Alaska (stayed a week) a few years ago, We took a picture of the harbour which now hangs above our fireplace. Haines has a homey atmosphere and I could associate with the residents, perhaps you and I chatted., the mass touristy crowd in skagway annoyed the snot out of me. Hope to visit again some time.

Keep scrolling, visiting different webb sites helps. Steve Good has a wealth of knowledge that he so unselfishly shares with us. old problems will fade a way to be replaced by new issues.

Offline GLC

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2019, 11:50:27 am »
Welcome to Steve's blog.  There are plenty of helpful folks here .  I have noticed the same issue with lines moving away from my saw blades and never considered the possibility of leprechauns here in /south Texas.  I will be more watchful.  In the meantime I would suggest "practice makes perfect".  All thing that we make are not master pieces but there are more and more keepers as we go along.  Regards > GLC in Cypress, Texas

Offline spirithorse

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 03, 2019, 09:20:37 pm »
Welcome to the forum and thanks for the nice introduction.
Every scroller is different and you have to find what works for you
but, perhaps if you just slow your saw speed down a little and then
slow your feed rate that you push the work piece into the blade, it
may help as you start out.
Looking forward to seeing more projects. The napkin holder is
well done. Thanks for sharing and God Bless! Spirithorse

Offline eburk

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 04, 2019, 10:32:45 pm »
Nice napkin holder Bob. Welcome to our group, glad to see another Alaskan come aboard. You have gotten some good suggestions, and you will improve as you get more practice. Just keep cutting, adjust blade speed and feed rate, try different blades until you find the combinations that work for you. Last but not least, do not be afraid to ask for help.
Stayin' warm in the North country!

Offline Toneman

• View Profile
    • TLC Miniature Horse Farm
« Reply #5 on: January 04, 2019, 11:55:23 pm »
Welcome to the forum! Another suggestion is make sure your blade is square to the table. I like to take a small piece of a 2 x 4 and using my scroll saw cut a line on one side. then place the wood behind the blade and see if it matches. Of course, you can use a small square tool also.

Offline bobadkinsfoto

• I cut it off twice, and it's still too short !
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 07, 2019, 03:33:24 pm »
Thanks for the warm welcome and the helpful tips.  I appreciate both, because I need all the help and encouragement I can get.  I really enjoy this scrollsawing stuff, but I was beginning to think maybe that maybe age 80 was a little bit late to get started.  However, I guess it is what it is, so I'll just keep plugging along.  I tried a compound-cut Christmas tree ornament for my grandaughter, but I made it out of redwood, which I think is too soft.  I also made a sign for a friend of mine that just started a business (3/4" spruce).  The napkin holder is 1/4" Baltic Birch plywood.

Offline eburk

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 07, 2019, 05:11:10 pm »
They look great Bob!
Stayin' warm in the North country!

Offline Norm Fengstad

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 08, 2019, 08:10:16 am »
Like your work right now I am doing  Steve Good bird house ornament with bird. This is a real gem of a compound cut using  spruce

SMF

Teknoromi