Author Topic: how to fiinish puzzles (beginner questions)  (Read 2008 times)

Offline Artemisblossom

• View Profile
how to fiinish puzzles (beginner questions)
« on: December 05, 2018, 12:03:17 am »
Hi  I am starting to make some woodimals and I am not sure how or when to put a finish on them. I am making them out of 3/4" hardwoods (mostly maple) I would like to sand them and put some kind of varnish on them. Should I  just put the finish on after the outside cuts are done before I actually cut out the puzzle pieces or should I put the finish on all areas after the puzzle pieces are cut out? I am using a #2 pegas blade for the inside cuts so they fit very snugly. I am afraid they will not fit if I put a stain and varnish finish on them. Also should I just be sanding the outside edges?

Offline Norm Fengstad

• View Profile
Re: how to fiinish puzzles (beginner questions)
« Reply #1 on: December 05, 2018, 07:23:25 am »
I use dressed lumber,a #3 Modified Geometry Blade, sand,oil finish such as Watco Danish clear or tung oil. I pour a small amount of oil into a Ziploc bag and dip the pieces , usually one at a time, and remove, wipe of the excess and let dry checking in 20 minutes or so and wipe  any pooling  especially on the edges. If I need to do a second coat it would be on the sides and probably not the edges.

occasionally I paint them with water thinned acrylic paint and only one coat on the edges then seal only the sided with oil.

Offline Artemisblossom

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 05, 2018, 10:47:04 am »
Thank you I will try the tung oil

Offline tbolt

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 06, 2018, 06:29:24 pm »
I use beeswax and mineral oil definitely child safe cut all my 3/4 puzzles with#5 fd ur

Offline Artemisblossom

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 07, 2018, 12:38:51 am »
do you dip it in the mineral oil first let it dry and then rub the beeswax on it?

Offline eburk

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 07, 2018, 10:53:11 am »
Here is a youtube clip on making a mineral oil and beeswax finish. Generally I will use one part mineral oil to 3 or 4 parts beeswax. https://www.toymakingplans.com/website/how-to/non-toxic-wood-toy-finish.html
Stayin' warm in the North country!

Offline barb e

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 08, 2018, 10:23:43 am »
Here is a youtube clip on making a mineral oil and beeswax finish. Generally I will use one part mineral oil to 3 or 4 parts beeswax. https://www.toymakingplans.com/website/how-to/non-toxic-wood-toy-finish.html

Thanks for the link to the video.  I just finished watching it and now am wondering, could you use it in the liquid form to get into some of the small areas that a brush or paper towel don't get into???

Offline eburk

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 08, 2018, 11:59:46 am »
Barb, I have found that it will fill those tight areas pretty well, as it does tend to soften as you rub it on, I use my fingers to start, and then use a paper towel to clean up any excess.

Offline eburk

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 08, 2018, 12:14:59 pm »
Barb, I also use tung oil on some of my puzzles, as mineral oil never cures very well. Scott Seifer had a good youtube on his wordimal puzzles. Here is the link to his channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCrcQ1TitDtz-ViCOg1RUN8Q. I tried to find the clip on his shop, Steve Good might have it on his blog still, it was a clip from sometime in 2017 as I remember.

Offline barb e

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 10, 2018, 08:31:34 am »
Barb, I also use tung oil on some of my puzzles, as mineral oil never cures very well. Scott Seifer had a good youtube on his wordimal puzzles. Here is the link to his channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCrcQ1TitDtz-ViCOg1RUN8Q. I tried to find the clip on his shop, Steve Good might have it on his blog still, it was a clip from sometime in 2017 as I remember.

I have watched the Scott Seifer video before.  He just uses mineral oil and admits in one of the videos that it never fully cures, but has had no complaints.

SMF

Teknoromi