Author Topic: Transfer patterns? (Sorry, new at this)  (Read 3347 times)

Offline Judy Hunter

• The world moves on.
    • View Profile
    • Artistic Sawdust and Other Fun Stuff
Re: Transfer patterns? (Sorry, new at this)
« Reply #15 on: November 13, 2010, 01:17:30 pm »
yyyyguy...do you put packaging tape over the pattern too or like me just figure the paiunters tape lubrecates enough??
I'm from North Dakota

Offline GrayBeard

• My DW 788 sends you HUGZZZZ from Missouri, USA!
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 13, 2010, 01:19:43 pm »
My method....Top to bottom

Packing tape
Pattern
Painters Tape
Wood

~~~GB~~~
I never really wanted to grow up....All I wanted was to be able to reach the cookie jar...and play with my DW 788

Offline Judy Hunter

• The world moves on.
    • View Profile
    • Artistic Sawdust and Other Fun Stuff
« Reply #17 on: November 13, 2010, 01:21:14 pm »
spray adhesive or glue stick?
object of the packinbg tape?
I'm from North Dakota

Offline GrayBeard

• My DW 788 sends you HUGZZZZ from Missouri, USA!
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 13, 2010, 01:26:42 pm »
3M "77" spray adhesive. Allow to set up for at least 30 seconds. It was originally manufactured to glue the 'headliners' in automobile manufacturing.

Packing tape is said to 'lubricate' the Blade due to the agents applied to the tape during manufacture to keep it from sticking to itself when on the roll.
I have no definitive answer that this is the case but "It works for me!"
There is an ongoing argument/discussion of this 'phenomena' but no one has proved it conclusively to my knowledge!

~~~GB~~~
I never really wanted to grow up....All I wanted was to be able to reach the cookie jar...and play with my DW 788

Offline yyyyyguy

• yyyyyguy
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 13, 2010, 03:40:55 pm »
I'm with you Judy and GB, I  "THINK" the painters tape might be enough but the packing tape is so cheap why chance it? It also holds down the pattern on those difficult cuts.  Pete
I love the smell of saw dust in the morning.

Offline jimbo

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 13, 2010, 04:12:57 pm »
I use a cheap pva then sand the pattern off after I have cut it out, I use a belt sander, spray adhesive is over $18 a can here

Offline termite

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 13, 2010, 07:17:36 pm »
i use spray adhesive on pattern, stick to blue painters tape, let dry a few minutes, drill holes and start cutting. never tried glue stick. i tried clear tape over pattern kept getting sawdust under tape.
wont do that again

Offline cskipper

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: November 13, 2010, 07:20:04 pm »
I put the "delicate" blue painter's tape (it has a yellow core) on the wood and the pattern on the tape.  I rarely use a top layer of tape.  If I am cutting a 3D piece I glue the pattern to the wood and cover it in packing tape (all around the wood). 
Cathy Skipper
When in doubt, just do the next right thing.

Offline julief

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: November 14, 2010, 06:43:15 am »
OK,  am I the only one who chooses to not wrap my wood in tape?  The only time I use tape is when I am cutting a wood that might burn like purple heart, hard maple or red oak or doing compound cuts.  I have such a hard time seeing the clear tape to get it off.  Pine and poplar and BB - I never put tape on it.  I choose to use the blue painters tape when stack cutting.

ups34

« Reply #24 on: November 14, 2010, 07:18:47 am »
I use the stickey paper from Slones workshop. A littleer  pricey but comes right off. EZ. I also cover it with packing tape. Sometimes I just use the paper if it is a simple cutout. But I am new also.

Offline dgman

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: November 14, 2010, 11:27:28 am »
OK,  am I the only one who chooses to not wrap my wood in tape?  The only time I use tape is when I am cutting a wood that might burn like purple heart, hard maple or red oak or doing compound cuts.  I have such a hard time seeing the clear tape to get it off.  Pine and poplar and BB - I never put tape on it.  I choose to use the blue painters tape when stack cutting.
OK Julie, I use the clear packing tape on woods that tend to burn like Cherry, Maple, Red Oak and on very hard hardwoods. I do not use tape on woods that are softer like mahogany, Pine, Walnut and Baltic birch. So what I am saying is I don't tape every project. Just the ones that might burn or could benefit from the lubrication the tape provides.
To address the problem of sawdust getting under the tape, when you apply the tape, make sure you don't leave any bubbles between the pattern and the
 tape. I use a plastic putty knife to "burnish" the tape after it is applied. Run the putty knife along the tape to make sure the tape is tight against the pattern. That will help eliminate sawdust getting under the tape.
Dan In Southern California

SMF

Teknoromi