Author Topic: Porter Cable 16" Saw?  (Read 4026 times)

G-Man

Re: Porter Cable 16" Saw?
« Reply #15 on: November 13, 2010, 02:05:37 pm »
I did use a forstner bit (I have a set) for that opening for the engine bushing.  Very handy, but I think I need to clamp a piece of scrap on the back side so it doesn't splinter as much.

Offline Russ C

• Global Moderator
  • Central Florida - USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 13, 2010, 07:10:27 pm »
Here is how I keep it from splintering the back with out clamping. Take a very small drill bit 1/16" and drill in the center of the circle. Then start drilling with the larger forstner bit about half way thru the wood. Stop turn the wood over. You will have the small hole showing you the center of the circle. Continue to drill with the forstner bit thru the opposite side. Ta da, you now have a hole with no splintering.  8)
russ@simplywoodencreations.com

Keep The Blade On The Line.

Offline termite

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 13, 2010, 07:25:23 pm »
a backer board always helps when drilling thru something

G-Man

« Reply #18 on: November 13, 2010, 08:31:52 pm »
Here is how I keep it from splintering the back with out clamping. Take a very small drill bit 1/16" and drill in the center of the circle. Then start drilling with the larger forstner bit about half way thru the wood. Stop turn the wood over. You will have the small hole showing you the center of the circle. Continue to drill with the forstner bit thru the opposite side. Ta da, you now have a hole with no splintering.  8)

Makes sense.  I WILL learn from my mistakes (despite what my wife says) ;D

SMF

Teknoromi