Author Topic: amber shellac ?  (Read 1549 times)

Offline gramps

• View Profile
amber shellac ?
« on: November 23, 2014, 07:23:13 pm »
i read somewhere that amber shellac gives a nice color to baltic birch plywood. is there a spray version of this? i've never dipped anything for fear of runs. is this something that could be rubbed on like a stain? thanks for any input, gramps

Offline DWSudekum

• View Profile
    • The DW Collection
Re: amber shellac ?
« Reply #1 on: November 23, 2014, 10:14:47 pm »
Lowes carries amber shellac from Bullseye both in spray and in can form.  Light even coats are the key to it.  Let it dry good then lightly go over it with a piece of brown paper bag.  This knocks down any spray roughness.  Generally 3 - 5 light coats will get you an outstanding finish.  If you should create a run, let it dry sand it smooth and respray the area.  Shellac cleans up well with denatured alcohol.  It can also be used with a small paint brush to smooth out any runs or imperfections.  Dipping the brush in the denatured and then painting the run and the area around it will allow it to flow smooth, might have to take a little time to do it that way but it works.
Shellac can be brushed or sprayed.  I generally spray it.

DW
Life is tough, it is even tougher if you are stupid  -  John Wayne

Offline gramps

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 25, 2014, 03:02:51 pm »
thanks for your input DW, much appreciated! we don't have a lowes close by but if a spray is made i'm sure i can order it from our local home depot. thanks again, gramps

Offline KarlB

• Naples, Florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 25, 2014, 06:32:12 pm »
I'm pretty sure Home Depot has it as well as I just bought the can just last week.

Karl

SMF

Teknoromi