General Category > Computer questions

Large pattern making

(1/2) > >>

juanito:
I've been using Inkscape to come up with some designs I want to try out. Mostly signs/plaques. However, keeping the design to a single page would result on very small signs. I wanted to know how designers go about splitting designs across multiple pages since Inkscape only really supports one page. Ultimately I want to put all the pages together into a PDF I can print when I'm ready.

don in brooklin on:
I often do larger signs in Inkscape. 

I usually design so it fits on one page, save a copy as PDF.  (Keep in mind the percentage you will ultimately enlarge)

Open in Adobe Acrobat Reader and use the poster feature and then enlarge at the percentage that will give me the size I want.  Steve gives instructions on doing this on his blog.

Also, you can change the page size in Inkscape (Document Properties >> custom size).  Save as PDF and Acrobat Reader in poster mode will split the pages and add the cut marks.

justlarry:

--- Quote from: don in brooklin on on April 01, 2020, 06:58:48 am ---
Also, you can change the page size in Inkscape (Document Properties >> custom size).  Save as PDF and Acrobat Reader in poster mode will split the pages and add the cut marks.

--- End quote ---

Thanks Don.  I did not know this.

juanito:
don in brooklin on,

Thanks for your response. I'll see if I can find a similar feature on my system. I work mostly on a Linux computer, so I am pretty limited to open source tools. However I do have a windows PC if I have to use Acrobat. If I find something interesting I'll post it here.

juanito:

--- Quote from: juanito on April 02, 2020, 06:02:52 am ---don in brooklin on,

Thanks for your response. I'll see if I can find a similar feature on my system. I work mostly on a Linux computer, so I am pretty limited to open source tools. However I do have a windows PC if I have to use Acrobat. If I find something interesting I'll post it here.

--- End quote ---

So the only viable option for Linux I found was "pdfposter". It almost does the job, but not quite. I guess I'll be using Windows for this particular task.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version