Author Topic: New to scroling  (Read 2065 times)

Huntersville

New to scroling
« on: March 08, 2013, 10:03:49 pm »
I enjoy working with wood and have just started playing with a scroll saw. I view Steves videos and they have been helpful. I took his advice and bought some flying dutcman blades and they are better than some other I bought.

Now where do I start to gain some confidence. I cut out a name plate the other day and it didn't turn out too bad for the first time. Any ideas where I should start or ideas for patterns to cut out.

Thanks for any help.

Offline julief

• View Profile
Re: New to scroling
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2013, 06:02:45 am »
Hello and welcome to the forum.  I'm Julie from Texas.  Glad to have you.  Scrolling just takes practice.  The easiest way to get comfortable is to take a scrap board and draw some lines on it.  Straight, wavy, whatever and try to cut on the lines.  As far as patterns - pick something that interests you - there are tons of patterns on steve's blog, most of which are fairly simple.  Take your time and enjoy.

Offline Keefie

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2013, 07:06:11 am »
Hi ,welcome to the forum, I'm Keith from Cornwall U.K.
It's all a case of "Mind over Matter",  The Government don't Mind, and I don't Matter.

Offline Russ C

• Global Moderator
  • Central Florida - USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2013, 07:19:52 am »
Welcome to the Scrollsaw Forum . Hi I'm Russ from Florida, I am glad you found us. A day without saw dust is like a day without sunshine.  :)
russ@simplywoodencreations.com

Keep The Blade On The Line.

Offline Toneman

• View Profile
    • TLC Miniature Horse Farm
« Reply #4 on: March 09, 2013, 09:09:41 am »
Welcome! I am Tony,aka,Toneman from Paris, Texas.

Offline jrpeteo

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 09, 2013, 09:50:46 am »
Hello and welcome, I'm Pete from up in Minnesnowta.
Suppose you were an idiot. And suppose you were a member of Congress. But I repeat myself.
- Mark Twain

Offline Al W

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 09, 2013, 10:23:40 am »
Greetings from South Dakota (freezing rain today).  Welcome to the madness and addiction.

Al

I agree with Julie - practice on just about anything.  Pick some simple patterns to start with and press on.  You will find the confidence grows as you go.

Molon Labe

Believe half of what you see, and none of what you hear.

The government is NOT always right, or on your side.

king310

« Reply #7 on: March 09, 2013, 10:01:14 pm »
Welcome Al! Gary from Iowa along the Mississippi. We all have advice to give and are always willing to give an answer even if it is the wrong answer.  ;D

Offline wombatie

• Victoria Australia
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 10, 2013, 04:32:36 am »
G'day, welcome to the forum.  I'm Marg from a very hot Australia
MARG

No one notices what I do until I'm not here to do it............

Offline Judy Hunter

• The world moves on.
    • View Profile
    • Artistic Sawdust and Other Fun Stuff
« Reply #9 on: March 10, 2013, 12:44:44 pm »
Hello and welcome!  Just start that's the fun part!
I'm from North Dakota

Offline EIEIO

• Be Prepared.
    • View Profile
    • RMHayes, LLC
« Reply #10 on: March 10, 2013, 01:50:40 pm »
Welcome. This is a very active group with lots of suggestions.

I'm new to this as well - since January. I've really enjoyed looking  at the range of things the scroll saw can do - lettering, ornaments, portraits, compound cuts, intarsia, ... it seems like every time I look there's something different. My latest kick is baskets and bowls.

You might start by looking for seasonal things to make so you can give them away - otherwise your house fills up pretty quickly. St. Patrick's Day, Easter, Memorial Day, 4th of July, family birthdays, anniversaries, yadayadayada. Have fun.
EX-21 arrived 2-1-2013!
Porter-Cable PCB370SS in the corner
Lancaster Ohio
Ray Hayes - RMHayes@RMHayes.US
www.RMHayes.US

Offline Intarsia92

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 10, 2013, 02:28:35 pm »
Welcome to the forum Joe. I'm Al from Southern Calif. If you have any questions there are lots of people here willing to try and answer them.
Al

Hegner 20" Polymax

rfarmer

« Reply #12 on: March 14, 2013, 12:20:11 am »
 :D I'm pretty new to scrolling my self. I go for the harder ones and if I mess up I look for something easier. (that's just me) My first one was very simple and made from a dresser drawer bottom that fell apart. I got a bunch of confidence and said ah heck this isn't hard. Went for harder ones posted a few on here and was told didn't look like a beginner. That gave me a bigger head so I went and bought more expensive wood and went to town. Found out real fast as a beginner that different woods cut different and need to slow down or speed up on some. I (as a beginner) take you're time even if you mess up you can usually fix it, Don't watch a video where it takes the guy in the video 10 sec's and expect the same results. I've been doing it about 4-5 months and I'm a slow poke especially on costly wood and so far have only done about 10 projects from simple to more advanced. Have fun

Offline Tomsunnu

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 17, 2013, 12:17:45 pm »
Welcome to the forum :) I am Mahendra from India , practice , practice and some more practice is the key word :) The friendly community is there to help you - not to worry 8)
mahendra

ToverT

« Reply #14 on: March 17, 2013, 11:42:59 pm »
Welcome to the fun.  I'm Tommy from the Los Angeles aea.  Like others have said, practice practice practice.   I'm fairly new to scroll sawing too and the more I cut the more confident I become.  If you have any questions just ask.  There are a lot of people here willing to help!

Tommy T

SMF

Teknoromi