Author Topic: Help....Lower blade clamp problem with smaller blades  (Read 2380 times)

Offline rrjwright

• View Profile
Help....Lower blade clamp problem with smaller blades
« on: September 21, 2014, 12:36:08 am »
Hi Guys.... Its  been  a  long  time   since I posted  on  here.

I  have a Delta 40-695,  similar to the Dewalt.   I  have  difficulties with the lower blade clamp tightening smaller blades such as 2/0 or nbr-1.   Larger blades  like nbr-5 or 7   will  clamp  just fine  without  any issues.  I  have  tried  adjusting the set screw...  but  those  dang  smaller  blades will just  not  clamp.

My go to blade is the FD UR nbr-5   all the time.... But  I  have the need to use  a smaller  blade   and  can only get it to clamp like 1 out of 50 tries

Any  help  will be appreciated!!

Thanks

Jim. . .
Scroll'n... Scroll'n.... Scroll'n
Keep that Sawdust Flow'n

Offline spiderman

• Spiderman
    • View Profile
Re: Help....Lower blade clamp problem with smaller blades
« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2014, 01:41:39 am »
on all blades take some 120grit sandpaper and sand both ends of the blade and this will remove the oil that is on the ends of the blades  then take the thumbscrews both top and top and bottom and even the setscrews out and take some sandpaper to those as will then you are all set to go.. have fun
SPIDERMAN THE KING OF THE WEB

Kragax

« Reply #2 on: September 21, 2014, 08:02:07 am »
I also had that problem on a Ryobi saw. I sanded the blades, but also cleaned the clamps with rubbing alchol at regular intervals and the problem went away.

UHMNL

« Reply #3 on: September 21, 2014, 06:57:17 pm »
Clean the clamps with rubbing alcohol, as was suggested and also use some sand paper.
FD Mike

Offline Dakota Saw Dust

• Sioux Falls, South Dakota, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 21, 2014, 07:41:27 pm »
When I first got my saw I found I could not install a blade bottom first. The turning motion of the screw plus my improper angle gave me failure 95% of the time.  However, if I top clamp first then push the lower blade into the clamp, the blade has resistance from sliding up in the clamping process and has all the intended blade bottom in the clamp. There is a slight bow in the blade using this method so I loosen the top clamp allowing the blade to self straighten and then re-clamp.  Torque on the bottom screw may be another reason I do not have slippage problems. I made one of Steve's clamp overlays [with a one sided thumb lever].  This allows extra leverage tightening the bottom clamp. As a side note, I glued the one on top but use the bottom one as a separate "wrench".  I have never sanded or cleaned any blades.  Brian   

Offline tommyb43

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 19, 2015, 05:16:12 pm »
Hi Brian
You made a ref to Steve's clamp overlay ? Could you point me in that direction, That might sort me out Thanks Tom

Offline busco

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 25, 2015, 06:06:18 pm »
Don't know if anyone is still reading this post or not, but I'll try anyway.  Check inside your clamp and make sure there is nothing in there, like sawdust or in my case a broken piece of blade, that likes to drive me nuts until I found it.

agooday88

« Reply #7 on: January 26, 2015, 10:30:35 pm »
I use to have problems with my blades slipping out until I roughed them up with some sand paper before inserting them. I haven't had one slip since. I keep a tiny piece of sand paper next to my saw at all times.

SMF

Teknoromi