Author Topic: Security  (Read 1206 times)

Offline Kepy

• View Profile
Security
« on: August 09, 2014, 08:21:03 am »
I have recently added Norton Internet Security.  My question is, do I also need a separate virus protection?

Offline DWSudekum

• View Profile
    • The DW Collection
Re: Security
« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2014, 09:23:59 am »
Definitely add a good virus protection.  The thing is is Nortons Internet Security is not a virus protector rather a malware protection, so adding a good virus protection program to the mix does help immensely.  Depending upon your preferences which one you go with of course however Kaspersky currently has one of the strongest antivirus programs out there.  The point being without virus protection you are wide open.

DW
Life is tough, it is even tougher if you are stupid  -  John Wayne

Offline Russ C

• Global Moderator
  • Central Florida - USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 09, 2014, 10:12:54 am »
You definitely need virus protection. If you are using Nortons Internet Security why not use Norton AntiVirus? As a Computer Tech I have seen problems mixing some internet security programs and antivirus programs, especially Norton, it is very proprietary. That is the reason I don't like Norton or use it.  8)
russ@simplywoodencreations.com

Keep The Blade On The Line.

smw

« Reply #3 on: August 09, 2014, 11:24:03 am »
I agree with Russ,I have used Norton in the past and found it more trouble than its worth,I was also concerned about the amount of baggage it installed and it was inclined to slow the system down.
ZoneAlarm have a free version with firewall and antivirus
http://www.zonealarm.co.uk/

Offline Kepy

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 10, 2014, 09:22:35 am »
Thx for the help.  I have ordered Norton Antivirus to add.

Offline jerry1939

• Iowa - 2 seasons. Winter & road construction.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 13, 2014, 12:04:19 pm »
Our oldest son has his own computer programing company.  He uses McAffee as do we.  Here is some things he told us:

1.  A lot of hackers will go after Facebook because of the volume of traffic there.  That way, they can get the most bang for the buck.

2.  If you get an e-mail that says, Click Here, or something like that, Don't click it.  You don't know who you are handing over your keys to.

3.  You Tube is also a popular place for hackers to target.

4.  If I want to enter a site I have not been to, I type it into Google.  It might give a list of options.  McAfee will put a green checkmark by the sites they think are OK and a question mark by the sites where they think you proceed at your own risk.

It's a rough world out there.

jerry

SMF

Teknoromi