Author Topic: Grrrrr!  (Read 2733 times)

Offline Kepy

• View Profile
Grrrrr!
« on: November 12, 2013, 09:43:01 am »
A good friend stopped by yesterday to let me know that her husband had been to an auction and brought me a box of a bunch of electric clock motors (no hands or nuts to hold the motor in place) and said now you can make a bunch of clocks.  I appreciate the thought but it will be more trouble getting the necessary parts and they will expect to see some clocks.  Also, these all have the short shaft so will have to be mounted in 1/4" wood.  I'm beginning to think it was a mistake to make them a Christmas gift last year as didn't intend to give them ideas.

Offline chelcass

• View Profile
Re: Grrrrr!
« Reply #1 on: November 12, 2013, 12:44:32 pm »
Now Kepy, bite your tongue, smile and just say thank you, after all it is the thought that counts.  If they should ask tell them the clocks on your to do list...................... :)
ChelCass

Offline dunk

• Staying positive.
    • View Profile
    • Mike's Wood-n-Things
« Reply #2 on: November 12, 2013, 06:03:17 pm »
You can always devise a holder on the rear of the clock to hold it in place...
Mike

Junk is something you've kept for years and throw away three weeks before you need it.

old wormy

« Reply #3 on: November 12, 2013, 07:20:29 pm »
You can use the short shafts in thicker wood by undercutting on the back of the wood.

Offline BilltheDiver

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 12, 2013, 09:28:15 pm »
Kepy I just made 5 clocks shaped like pigs using clocks with shafts for 1/4 inch wood.  If you have a router, make a template for the cutout in the back to recess the clockworks into and then use a bushing and straight or upcut spiral bit in the router to cut out the wood.  Just don't cut more than about 1/8 at a time.  Worked like a charm.  Best with a plunge router but not impossible without a plunge.
"Measure twice, cut once, count fingers"

Offline jscott2

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 12, 2013, 09:53:39 pm »
Lee valley has clock hands.  http://www.leevalley.com/US/wood/page.aspx?p=32906&cat=1,42405.  The nuts are likely standard, you might find them in a hardware store or a store that sells clocks and mechanisms.

Good luck,
Jim
Using a Delta 40-690 in the Montreal, Quebec (Canada) area

Offline EIEIO

• Be Prepared.
    • View Profile
    • RMHayes, LLC
« Reply #6 on: November 13, 2013, 09:29:38 am »
Personally I like working in 1/4" BB Ply. These clocks might be a chance to show off some nice joinery around the edges of the clock box, or do some of those guitar|banjo|fiddle shaped clocks. Or maybe an old drum?
EX-21 arrived 2-1-2013!
Porter-Cable PCB370SS in the corner
Lancaster Ohio
Ray Hayes - RMHayes@RMHayes.US
www.RMHayes.US

mlwmerk

« Reply #7 on: November 13, 2013, 09:44:01 am »
"I'm beginning to think it was a mistake to make them a Christmas gift last year as I didn't intend to give them ideas."

No good deed goes unpunished!!

Offline Kepy

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 13, 2013, 09:56:43 am »
Some really good ideas but everything requires time which is in short supply right now.  I just counted and the box holds 39 motors and the friend told me he paid all of $4 for it.  I know you can order the hands and stick on numbers and will check with another friend who does clock and watch repair to see about the nuts.

SMF

Teknoromi