Author Topic: Bathtub toys  (Read 2257 times)

TheKingmontKid

Bathtub toys
« on: January 28, 2014, 09:31:54 pm »
Hey everyone, question for the forum: i am finding myself in toy mode last few months. I thought maybe I would whip up some bathtub toys for kids to play with. So if you were to make a rubber band powered boat, or maybe a battleship, would you consider a varnish? Id be hesitant to do so but also hated the thought of the wood getting moldy too. Your thoughts?

--Jay

Offline gramps

• View Profile
Re: Bathtub toys
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2014, 01:00:55 am »
maybe check out some hobby stores that carry remote control boats. there must be some type of a marine finish they use. i'm interested in any answers. this old farm house we live in has a wood framed window in our bath tub/ shower area. gramps

Offline spirithorse

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2014, 01:06:43 am »
Greetings!
I am by no means and expert but, a marine varnish like HELMS should protect the wood
perfectly and, I have read in many discussions of this type that ANY varnish is safe
after it is fully cured. This does not mean to suggest that I would want a child chewing on
anything that is varnished but, the amount of varnish they could ingest by placing it in their
mouth before they were caught and scolded would be insignificant health-wise.

God Bless! Spirithorse

Offline dunk

• Staying positive.
    • View Profile
    • Mike's Wood-n-Things
« Reply #3 on: January 29, 2014, 10:48:06 am »
Helmsman minwax spar urethane is marine grade and non-toxic when cured.  I use it all the time.  I prefer the Minwax? Water Based Helmsman? Spar Urethane much easier cleanup.

Read all about it.  Click this link.
http://www.minwax.com/wood-products/exterior-clear-protective-finishes/minwax-helmsman-spar-urethane

BTW  I've sent them an e-mail asking if this will assist in preventing or slowing down deterioration of out door painted projects using it as a top coat.  Since it dries very clear & has UV protection and is water resistant.
« Last Edit: January 29, 2014, 10:57:13 am by dunk »
Mike

Junk is something you've kept for years and throw away three weeks before you need it.

Offline Jim Finn

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 15, 2014, 10:48:19 am »
Radio controlled wooden model boats are often covered with an epoxy finishing rezin, called "Z-poxy" available at your local hobby shop.  I have made rubber band powered bathtub boats but put no finish on them.  No glue involved  (Screwed together) and made of pine.  The kids may paint them I guess.
20"Hegner Polymax-3 (2008)
25"Hegner Multimax-3 (1986)

No PHD, just a  DD 214

SMF

Teknoromi