Author Topic: Sand Paper Strips?  (Read 3026 times)

Retired Coastie

Sand Paper Strips?
« on: March 02, 2012, 01:04:58 pm »
How well do the sandpaper strips work that install into the saw? Or is there a better was for sanding small inside curves and flat areas? I've tried the emery boards but they are too inflexible and thick for tight areas. I can use my oscillating spindle in areas larger than 9/16". Thanks for any help you folks can give!

Offline Rapid Roger

• Hutchinson, Kansas
    • View Profile
Re: Sand Paper Strips?
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2012, 02:45:10 pm »
I have tried the ones with the plastic "T" ends on them and they weren't worth a HOOT for me. Didn't fit my saw clamps at all. I have since made my own and use them from time to time.
I just cut sand paper of the desired grit about 5" long and 1/2" wide. Fold it long ways so you end up with a 5" x 1/4" wide strip and install in the saw just as you would a pin-less blade. Keep the tension low as they will tend to break if over tensioned and pushed to the side too far.
Hope that helps.

Rog
An ounce of responsablity is worth 10 pounds of state and fedral laws.

thawkins57

« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2012, 06:09:10 pm »
i bought a pak of 3" X 18" sanding belts and cut my own.  The belts have a fabric back instead of paper and will stand up to more tension.  I cut them 5" long and 1/4" wide.  They slip into the blade clamps like blades... set the tension and away you go.

Retired Coastie

« Reply #3 on: March 02, 2012, 08:48:11 pm »
Thanks Leo & Rogger, those are great Ideas. I'll see if I can find the fabric belts and the regular sandpaper should be thin enough for really tight gaps. Thanks again guys!

Offline mrsn

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 02, 2012, 11:24:07 pm »
I have used the sanding strips, I like them for small areas where my other sanders don't work. A while ago menards had them on clearance and I bought out 3 stores. My husband shook his head and said at least it isn't shoes.

Retired Coastie

« Reply #5 on: March 04, 2012, 12:04:50 pm »
i bought a pak of 3" X 18" sanding belts and cut my own.  The belts have a fabric back instead of paper and will stand up to more tension.  I cut them 5" long and 1/4" wide.  They slip into the blade clamps like blades... set the tension and away you go.

Thanks for the tip thawkins57! I did as you recommended and the fabric belt strips worked very well on a few test pieces. I'll give it a go on a project I'm working now. Thanks all for your suggestions!

Offline dgman

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 04, 2012, 01:13:32 pm »
Something to consider, By using the right blades and techniques, you shouldn't have to sand an inside cut or even an outside cut. Practice cutting your lines accurately. If you stray off the line, make a gradual return to the line rather than an abrupt return to the line which will have to be sanded out. If I make a misscut, I go back and touch it up with the right side of the blade. The right side of most blades have a burr from the manufacturing process.
The only sanding I do on cuts is with a folded piece of 220 grit sandpaper to clean up any fuzzies on the back.
The smaller the blade, the smoother the cut will be. For that reason, I use the smallest blade that will do the cut.
I always sand the blank to final grit, Usually 220, before I start cutting, that way I only have to touch up with the 220 grit sandpaper.
My goal is to eliminate as much sanding as possible!
Dan In Southern California

Offline Russ C

• Global Moderator
  • Central Florida - USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 04, 2012, 07:42:15 pm »
The only thing I can offer is that if you listen to Dan (He has been doing it a long, long time) and follow his instructions (he knows what he is talking about) you will improve your projects I guarantee.  :) 
russ@simplywoodencreations.com

Keep The Blade On The Line.

Offline mrsn

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 04, 2012, 08:51:53 pm »
You really are right Dan. When I started scrolling I used a lot of the sanding strips to clean up my cuts, but as I got better there is less and less need for them.

Offline Al W

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 07, 2012, 09:36:15 am »
Strips of sandpaper, various grits, cut to 5", about 1/2" wide, folded in half, light tension, work quite well for me.

Just take your time.

But I do also agree that with time and experience, I use fewer and fewer.

Enjoy and don't stop learning.

Al
Molon Labe

Believe half of what you see, and none of what you hear.

The government is NOT always right, or on your side.

Retired Coastie

« Reply #10 on: March 11, 2012, 10:22:26 am »
Yes I agree with Dan's tip. As I get better at scrolling and with the blade matched to the work I should need to sand less and less. Thanks all for your helpful tips and patience with a neophyte!

Offline MOONIE

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 11, 2012, 09:39:34 pm »
Whem I first started I bought some really neat sanding strips from  jimdandy.com     they work well.  I haven't used them for quite a while.  Practice, practice, practice.   
MOONIE

SMF

Teknoromi